We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Milano to Lugano

Which Lugano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
train from Milano to Lugano

Hi this is my first time to travel alone .I will land in Milano at around 10:30 and than I have to travel to Lugano .From Milano centrale do I have to book the train ticket or I can buy it from the stazione !

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

You need to reserve a seat on intercity trains in Italy - although on a frequently-served route like this, you probably don't need to buy it in advance.

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

You can purchase either way, but in case of direct international ticket online purchase allows you to buy slightly cheaper promo ticket (tariff SMART), but the difference is minimal. You can as well travel by regional train Milan-Chiasso(just 5.15 EUR, no need to buy online since it's full fare), and there catch next S train to Lugano (just 4 EUR full fare), thus in total travel for less than 10 EUR (while direct international ticket is 21,2 EUR)

Malta
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

So I can do it to Chiasso first because the first train from Milan to Lugano is at 3pm and I will lose time and from the Treni Italia website I saw that the best station go to chiass is porta garibaldi not stazione centrale

Thanks for your help I'm very gratefull

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

Yes, S trains to Chiasso start from Milano Porta Garibaldi, but then also stop at Milano Greco Pirelli. From Porta Garibaldi they start every hour at 38 min (11:38, 12:38, 13:38 etc.). While from Chiasso trains to Lugano start at every hour at XX:03 and XX:33 min.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

I am also looking for a milano centrale to Lugano guidance. I have booked myself on Trenitalia from Venice by a train that reaches at 855am.

The EC has a train at 910 for Lugano from Milano Centrale. Is the 15min gap between trains good enough? I am with children and some luggage.

The alternative train as i see is at 1110 (direct train).

I am keen to save time as i am in lugano only for a day and keento get maximum time there.

What is the best website to book a train on for Milano Centrale-Lugano?

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

Well, Milano Centrale is a big station, but if your 8:55am train won't be late, then you should be fine. Basically you just need to change platform and that's it.

Best website to search timetable is either TrenItalia (official website of Italian Railways), SBB (official Swiss Railways) or DB (www.bahn.de)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,565 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

Josgan - if landing at Malpensa Airport, there are direct buses from the airport to Lugano http://www.malpensaexpress.ch/orari.pdf and http://www.jetbus.ch/ Going by train will take more than twice as long and may cost more.

If you really want to go by train, don't buy a Smart ticket in advance as this will be worthless if you miss your train because of a delayed flight. Buy tickets at Malpensa Airport train station if landing there, or at Milano Centrale.

Mumba - if buying online, book on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html as the other two websites do not sell tickets for this journey which can be collected in Italy.

Edited: 12:37 pm, April 10, 2012
Malta
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

Hi Perilizia I'm landing in Linate

Mumbai
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

The time between my incoming train to milano centrale and the train out is 15min. Is that adequate? Bsically do trains normally get delayed. In that case i will cancel these tickets and take a train wiyh longer time gap.

Pls help.

Manchester, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Milano to Lugano

Are there though services from milan centrale to chiasso? Will it cost the same If i got the train from Porta Garibaldi?