We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

locarno

Which Locarno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
virginia
12 posts
Save Topic
locarno

I will have 4 days in locarno and want to walk in the mountains and stay in beautiful places for a modest price. I will travel alone-what to wear and suggestions?

ICB
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: locarno

Starlight:

We've stayed in Locarno and loved it. The Hotel Rondinella Garni is right on the lake and two blocks or less from the train station--technically it is in Muralto, I believe. It is immaculate, has a friendly, helpful owner, and a price that can't be beat: under 150chf for a double, with balcony, refrigerator and TV with German, Italian, French and English channels.

If you are looking for reasonably priced restaurants, the "Al Pozz" just a block to the right as you exit the Rondinella, has a nice outdoor seating area with those heater lamps, lake view and the best chicken with risotto I've ever had.

If you have to go from locarno to Zurich airport for an 11am flight, you'll need to arrive at the airport around 9--which would mean a 6am or so train departure. Luzern is only 75 minutes by train to the Zurich airport.

virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: locarno

When leaving Locarno, would you suggest I leave on Wednesday and stay in Zurich? I am wondering whether i am cutting it too close to be in Lucerne or locarno that thursday morning. Thank you for the info on the hotel and food-i will perhaps visit the restaurant. Have you visited the botanical gardens in lago maggiore?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: locarno

I was there last fall. A nice boat trip to the island. The island is small and you have seen it in 1-2 hours. Bring a picnic with you or have a lunch or coffee at the restaurant.

The boats don't run too often in April and I don't know if anything is blooming yet at the island.

I love Locarno but I adore Ascona. Take a walk along the lake from the town. You'll walk through alleys with beautiful houses on each side. You'll come out at a public swimming area with sandy beaches. Keep walking and you'll be walking next to a golf course on one side and the lake on the other. Your walk ends at the boat harbour. You can walk back or go another way through the town.