We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which castle?

Which Bellinzona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sherman, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
which castle?

Hello, my husband and I will be in Bellinzona in March and were wondering if all three castles were a "must see" or if there were one or two in particular. Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which castle?

We did all three last fall in one afternoon. The top castle has the least to see but the best view. The middle castle lets you go into a few rooms and up a tower. The bottom castle has the most to offer. We went up a tower there and down the path on top of the old protection walls. You can take a bus to the top and walk down to each castle. All were at no cost.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which castle?

We did all three last fall in one afternoon. The top castle has the least to see but the best view. The middle castle lets you go into a few rooms and up a tower. The bottom castle has the most to offer. We went up a tower there and down the path on top of the old protection walls. You can take a bus to the top and walk down to each castle. All were at no cost.

Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which castle?

I can tell you that my husband and I went only to 1 castle--the first one, on the lowest level, and we both felt that it was very sufficient. It gave us a wonderful sense of what the "castle experience" is like. Maybe I'm not a good person to ask because we didn't see the other 2, but really, seeing 1 felt like plenty for us. There's a lot to explore there...very pretty rooms and furnishings, as well as a little museum and some exhibits. You can get up pretty high and see spectacular views. There's a very nice restaurant there too w/ an outdoor terrace w/ great views. To be honest, I really think to see more than the 1 is overkill.

There's a tower there w/ a lookout that is very high up...I was exhausted from walking around, but my husband was keen on climbing the winding staircase to get to the top, so I told him to go ahead while I sat out and rested. It took him about 10 mins. to get to the top, then I saw him peek his head out the little window and he smiled and waved. He came down a while later all smiles, telling me how fun it was and thanking me for being patient and indulging him. It really made me laugh. He was like a little boy. What could be more exciting to a little boy than getting to explore a real castle?

It was a fun and interesting experience and we got some very nice photos there too. But really, 1 castle is enough.

Btw, the street you take up from the train station to reach the elevator to the castle is quite interesting and lively. There are many nice shops there...very, very Italian in feel and atmosphere. I think you will really enjoy yourself.

Sherman, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which castle?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! :)