We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Munich to St Moritz

Europe
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Munich to St Moritz

I am going to be stayin in St Moritz from 17th to 19th March 07. I am flying into Munich airport and then driving the 300kms. Firstly I see on the car rental site there are seperate options available for Winter tyres and Snow Chains. I know what snow chains are but what are winter tyres? Are they studded? but then wouldnt this make driving in Germany allmost impossible as there probably wont be any snow there. Or do I need to specify both when I book the car?

Secondly can anyone suggest routes or mountain passes when coming from the Munich side. I have satnav which normally makes gettin there fairly easy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,327 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Munich to St Moritz

Hi mrXEurope,

Just fyi, mountain passes are closed in winter -- you'll be routed through tunnels.

s

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Munich to St Moritz

Anyone know how long the trip takes?

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Munich to St Moritz

for the route check webpages like

www.mappy.com

www.map24.com

Munich - St. Moritz is about 4 hours.

Winter tyres are made for lower temperatures and have a much better grip on snow, than normal tyres. I would take them.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Munich to St Moritz

The fastest and easiest route would be via Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Landeck - then up the Engadin valley.

If you don't mind some mountain driving then this could be an alternative: Munich - Bregenz - Chur - Thusis - Julier mountain pass - St. Moritz. Julier pass is normally open during winter but can be temporarely closed during heavy snowfall - so inform yourself before departure. And take the snowchains as well (not necessary IMO for the first route, but winter tyres are a must).

Mentioned in this post
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bregenz
Bregenz
Vorarlberg, Austria
Chur
Chur
Canton of Graubunden, Switzerland
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Munich to St Moritz

Definitively take the winter tyres, as no insurance will pay if something happens with summer tyres in winter in the mountains. You can easily drive with them also without snow (you just feel a little bit more the road), but they have much more grip on snow and ice, as they are larger and thus have a larger grip and another structure (not studded, this would be a spikes tyre and they are allowed only limited). The chains are just an option in case roads are with fresh snow, but March tends already towards spring - no guarantee however that you will not encounter snow storms. You put the chains to have additional grip. You can also rent them on place in case you need them. Sometimes chains are compulsary for short periods after heavy snowfall, with exception of 4-wheel-drive cars.

There usually should be no problem with passes either way of the ones mentioned by prior posters. In case of bad weather ask for information however. The local IZE (Informations Zentrale Engadin) www.ize.ch is continuously updated during the winter season on internet or voice-message phone.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Munich to St Moritz

Hi Mr. X. No winter tyres are not the studded ones you find in Finland and the north. They are like the normal ones but they have (as said here) a better grip in snow and rain conditions, something to do with the way the rubber is done.

You must take the winter tyres (insurance reasons-also said here) and tell them to throw the chains in as well (no snow at the moment but it does not hurt to be optimistic).

You can use this page for directions:

theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/planner_main_redir…

(click on Europe first) I think you can download the whole on the nav system but I am not sure.

If you speak german/french/italian thsi site has very good info on road and passes conditions: www.tcs.ch. But most passes are open only in summer, very few during the winter; none of which is in Graubünden.

March is winter here or should be, at the moment nothing is predictable, we have very high temp. for the season. You will have to play it by ear when you arrive.

Tak

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
7. Re: Driving from Munich to St Moritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 26, 2009