We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the common language around St. Moritz?

San Diego
2 posts
Save Topic
What is the common language around St. Moritz?

HI, my husband and I are traveling to St Moritz for a week, and I'm just curious as to what language is most commonly used there?

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the common language around St. Moritz?

Probably english ;)

No, to be honest, it's either swiss german, a dialect, or rumantsch. This latin language is only spoken in Grisons by about 50000 people, but it's our fourth official language (beside of german, italian and french). As there are so few people speaking it, persons with rumantsch as mother language are forced to speak at least german too.

But as stated above, english is common and almost all local people working in tourism will be able to communicate in english.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,188 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the common language around St. Moritz?

Hi Bonitagirl-7,

The dominant language around St. Moritz is German, but some proportion of the folks speak Romansch, a language of the Canton. Lots of people also speak English.

s

San Diego
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the common language around St. Moritz?

Thank You! I would like to have some knowledge of the language, before we go, its always nice to be able to say a few things or understand them. :)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the common language around St. Moritz?

Allegra Bontagirl-7

If you intend to speak to your waiter at the restaurant or to the hotel staff, I would say it's rather Italian than German. As we are near the border with Italy, there are a lot of Italian people working here in the tourism industry. In schools, the official language is German. The Romantsch other posters wrote about is an old language and few native people speak it, but it would be hard to learn it in a short time, as with the many idioms, you would rarely hit the right pronunciation at the right moment. If you just need a few words, try the very nice "allegra" to say "hello" to somebody, this is rather common in the region, also for people who are not Romantsch native speakers..

Here a few nice words subsequently in:English/Swiss German/Italian/Romantsch:

Hello/Grüetzi/Buongiorno/allegra

Thank you very much/Danke vielmol/grazie tanto/grazcha fich (pronounced graztscha fitsch)

Goodby/uf wiederluege (German Auf Wiedersehn)/ arrivederci/ a bun ans vair

see you soon/bis bald/a presto/a bainbod!

But you will come by with English very well, so I think the words above might be enough.

5. Re: What is the common language around St. Moritz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 25, 2009