We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

Hi,

We are driving from St. Mortiz to Lake Como in April this year. I understand its not a long drive but we want to take a leisurely 2 days for this drive and looking for recommendations on the most scenic route to take. We plan to leave St. Mortiz mid morning on Saturday the 12th of April and stay in Chiavenna that night at B&B Nonna Costantina. Sunday we need to be in Lake Como by mid afternoon.

Thanks for your advice in advance :)

Greg

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

With what you mention as your accomodation, I think the itinereary is already a given - not much options there. The only open point is just where on Lake Como - the only matter that makes a difference. The drive along the Upper Engadin lake plateau and down the steep and winding (hairpin bends) Maloja pass and along the Bregaglia Valley to Chiavenna is scenic - less so than the Bernina route, but this does not bring you to Chiavenna.

On Saturday, there is a lively market in Chiavenna if you want to participate in everyday life.

St. Moritz and Chiavenna is not really a distance - we sometimes go to the market for shopping.

Perhaps you could do the UNESCO World Heritage site Bernina line - or at least part of it and perhaps a visit to Diavolezza - during your stay in Engadin St. Moritz.

Edited: 4:19 am, January 19, 2014
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

Thanks for the reply. Is St Mortiz to Chiavenna via a long route through Zernez, Bormeo, Tirano and Dubino (SS27, SS28 and SS301) a reasonable scenic days drive ? Then Chiavenna to Como via Silvaplana and E43 also a reasonable scenic route to pick up small towns etc ?

Thanks

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

Looks like you intend to spend you entire holidays on roads, which does not make a lot of sense when your starting point (Engadin St. Moritz) is one of the most scenic areas you may find. And this does absolutely not make sense in April. Consider the still short daytime hours, so you would have to do part of the drive during the night, what is absolutely not a pleasure on mountain roads and through National Park areas with wildlife. Don't look at a map and calculate the kilometers in driving time as if you would drive on a highway. And calculate the weather, you may still get snow in high altitudes in April and streets and pass roads may still be closed.

I checked the roads you mentioned, but this itinerary does not make sense at all. I don't know how you intend to arrive to Tirano on SS 301 - this is the road to Livigno and the Stelvio pass usually opens beginning of June, the Umbrail end of May - with the lot of snow we got this year, eventually even later. With this "detour" you would arrive back in St. Moritz (during the summer period, not possible in winter) and it would be a very long drive during which you would have to concentrate on the driving and not have seen anything. This would perhaps be an option in summer, if your main goal is really driving on pass roads, but also then it would be an exhaustingly long drive and you could get more out of your time taking it more relaxed and breath in the fresh mountain air instead of the AC filtered air in your car.

The other route you mention via Silvaplana is the one I mentioned earlier.

I really suggest you have a look at a topographic map and not just at the roads, so you may see the mountains.

What I would do with your time at disposition is skip the overnight in Chiavenna and spend two nights in the Engadin St. Moritz area, thus really IN the mountains, then drive to Chiavenna and to Como directly instead of changing hotels and stay in nearby Chiavenna for another night.

Edited: 3:17 am, January 20, 2014
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

Thanks Engadiner I see what your saying now. We do have planned 2 nights in St. Moritz (staying at Hotel Arte) after we have ridden the Glacier Express Train from Interlaken ... cheers

Edited: 3:41 am, January 20, 2014
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

This becomes even more confusing: where do you then get the car from? Do you plan a one-way rental from St. Moritz to Como? In this case, think twice - you would spend a fortune for the one-way fee from Switzerland to Italy. Why not consider public transport in this case and enjoy the scenery and let someone else do the driving? Don't compare distances here with the ones in WA!

Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

If you are unused to drive on European and mountainous streets, then take this in consideration as well: http://wikitravel.org/en/Switzerland#By_car_2

Boston, MA.
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

I am trying to take a train from St. Moritz (taking the Bernina Express from Tirano) to Lake Como possibly avoiding going back through Milan. Rail Europe was of no help at all. Any suggestion or advice please would be greatly appreciated.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

TasteSensibilty, please ask your question in a new thread instead of hijacking someone other's one - and not even with the same question. He asked about DRIVING, you about public trasport. So in case you want an answer, open your own thread and ask there.

9. Re: Driving from St. Moritz to Lake Como

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 06, 2015