We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

I am planning to go to St Moritz during first week of June. I u derstand that this is a shoulder period. What's the weather like at this time of the year? Am also wondering what kimd of footwear I should bring. I will be heading down to Lugano, Milan, Paris and Belgium after St Moritz, so for those legs I plan to be on sandals and running shoes. For St Moritz, would a pair of trekking shoes be necessary? Or wellies?

Thanks.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

You can get statistical information at Meteoschweiz climate website. For instance …admin.ch/web/en/climate/swiss_climate/clima… and more specifically at …admin.ch/files/…SCU_norm8110.pdf

Engadine valley is relatively well sheltered by Alps mountain ranges NW and W - not much precipitation. For that higher altitude valley simple rules: the higher, the colder - less air (density) means stronger sunshine, with less air to heat up, colder when sun is gone.

For St.Moritz altitude, snow on the ground in June would be very exceptional (and short), but not impossible. If you are used to warm temperatures only, better use running shoes with warm socks rather than sandals. St.Moritz is kind of town in the Alps, so imho no need for trekking shoes - at least not if you stay in town. As for all mountain trips - always have a rain- and windproof light jacket with you. If cold, use layers under that windproof jacket.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

Alright then. Sounds manageable. Thanks for the info.

Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

Perhaps these graphics can give you even a better impression: …admin.ch/web/…bulletin201306.html

Go to page 11 and find information about this year's weather in Samedan, situated just next to St. Moritz. Even though, every year will be quite different have a look at the second (grey bars) diagrams (maximal and minimal temperature of the day). As a tourist we usually are not so much interested in daily averages (first blue/red diagram), but the extremes per day, which vary thoroughly in Switzerland compared to Kuala Lumpur.

This year in June, there were records breaking (thin grey lines) three days between 17th and 19th June all over Switzerland. E.g. in Basel (34.5C) and Sion (36.3C, month's record) reached maximal day temperature records (since measurement). No records in Samedan/St. Moritz, but those days were exceptional warm nonetheless: 23.9C on 18th (around 4pm o'clock I assume), and minus (!) -4.7C on 27th of June (around 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning I assume).

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

Hi Alfred h,

Thanks for the pointer to page 11 on the report. I checked it out and saw the 27 June bar on the grey graph. That's very extreme indeed! An occasional exception I guess.

I have lived in cold climate conditions but these are at the normal sea level places in the UK.

This is going to be the first time for me to be in a high altitude place like St Moritz, and yes, coming straight from a tropical climate condition, I need to take precautions on these extreme changes in climate conditions from the tropics in KL to the Swiss Alps. I am conscious about adjusting to changes in altitudes between sea level and the alps in terms of what it does to our body. I don't intend to go for any specific hiking excursions, if any, I'd just do the normal short hikings into the villages perhaps. Even so, I would like to come prepared, mentally, physically and with the appropriate clothing.

What's the altitude at St. Moritz?

So on my packing checklist would include some layering clothes, a windbreaker, warm socks. For shoes, will running shoes do? Or is a waterproof shoes like the wellies be more appropriate? or trekking shoes? Sorry for all these detailed questions.

Edited: 11:30 pm, October 30, 2013
Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

> What's the altitude at St. Moritz?

Around 1800m, but you can easily find out by yourself with the help of these most excellent Swiss maps: map.wanderland.ch/…

Zoom in and out to get more or different information. Add or remove the interactive icons, or e.g. the green hiking trails, from the left menu.

No, 1800m above sea level is not really an issue. But you probably will experience some minor additional tiredness thanks to less stronger air pressure while rising. And especially while descending fast (by train or cable cars for example) from higher regions; swallowing empty wile descending helps to adjust the increasing (totally unproblematic) pressure in your ears.

Further information you find here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

If you intent to go above ~2400m and if have any health issues, then you should consult your physician first! Infants should not be taken above ~2400m, but ask your doctor!

> So on my packing checklist would include some layering clothes, a windbreaker, warm socks.

Yes, correct. Layers are important, you must be prepared for any weather change also during the day, especially while hiking! And the windbreaker should be waterproof as well. Do not forget a hat, suncream and sun glasses. If the sun shines, it will be strong in higher altitudes!

> For shoes, will running shoes do?

Only if you intend not to hike (on dirty trails). Otherwise it would be a pain in the a s s (double meaning intended ;). For hiking mountain trails you need waterproof trekking shoes with slip-proof soles (such as these: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/d/d8/Mephi… ).

And for the very unusual case that it will have snow, then running shoes will be unusable slippery as well. But you can manage it while staying in town and relying on public transportation only.

By the way, if it would have had any precipitation on 27th of June this year (but it wasn't at all, see green bars in the climate bulletin), it would have been snowing. But only during the night, when the temperature was below the freezing 0°C. And as the climate bulletin shows, during June in St.Moritz/Samedan the lowest day temperature (normally at late night/early morning) will be slightly above freezing point - in average!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

Thanks alfred.

7. Re: What'es the weather and temperature like in early June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, November 03, 2014