We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Hi,

I will be staying a night in Tirano to catch the first morning train (via Bernina express). As i see the timetable online, it starts from Tirano at 0834 and reach St Moritz at 1039, so how do i connect to Chur?

Is it worth to continue from St Mortiz to Chur or should i just do a day trip and then head back to Italy or perhaps to consider continue to Lugano?

Can you suggest if i should stay at night in St Moritz and then head back to Italy or Lugano?

Is Tirano to Chur and return something i can do all within a day?

Welcome your comments and recommendations.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

You are seeking recommendations, but dont give important information:

When will this be?

How many days do you have at disposition?

Where are you coming from (program before this, so what have you seen before) and

Where are you going after that (other similar excursions)?

What are your interests (hiking, panoramic views, nature, culture or just sitting in a box for days in a row)?

What are you expecting from this journey.

So, please tell us more and we could help you better.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Hi - sorry for the lack of information.

I will be arriving in Milan on 7th May and was planning on travelling to Tirano from Milan to catch the Bernina Express. I have 7 days 6 nights holiday flying in from Singapore to Milan and was thinking of doing Milan (2 nights), one night in the Alps and then Lake Como or Lugano. I am not too sure if i was being too ambitious here to try to squeeze everything in within 6 nights!

I love to see the nature, Alps and see the historic town and just wonder around to see the local culture, try the local cuisine and drinks and some shopping, perhaps?! I am taking my mum in her 60s so no hiking or any hard-core activities, walking and enjoying the nature/historic town is what i am after..

Should i go from Milan to Lake Como then to tirano to do the Bernina express or vice versa? should i do two way Bernina Express? I read that it's recommended to take regional train on way back? Should i stay in St Moritz or Chur? I see from the timetable that the only direct bernina express train from Tirano to Chur at 1404 or would i be better off stop by St Moritz?? Ideally i would love to go all the way to Chur but there isnt direct train to Chur in the morning ? (from Tirano to St Moritz at 0834 or 1003) Where should we base to have a great unforgettable time in the Alps?

We would be having big suitcase with us, is there any locker to keep our suitcase so that we can hop in and out of train? i would love to spend a day/night in the Alps with great view and food? any recommendations? is one night sufficient?

Sorry with all the questions but i am looking forward to your input.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Well, begining of May is off-season in the mountains and most hotels, restaurants and boutiques and jewellers will be closed. However, you will find someting open year-round and with the very limited time you will have at disposition, you will hardly notice that it is off-season - it's less crowded and more serene and tranquil.

If you say, one night in the Alps, you would have to look at the Engadin St. Moritz area - Chur is not in the Alps. If however you say you want to see a historic town, then it is Chur, the oldest town in Switzerland. In the mountains you find farmers villages rather than old towns. St. Moritz is the hub and rather big, but still a village. However to stroll around in May and for shopping, this will not be ideal - still depending what you are looking at for shopping. So you really have to decide between mountains and nature on one hand and city, old town and shopping on the other hand.

Should you decide for the mountains, there is an interesting special in the Engadin St. Moritz area http://www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/ where some of the hotels will offer you a complimentary day pass for mountain cable cars, some even the whole local public transport, with two or more nights. See …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ - this would be worth considering even during off-season, as you might want to visit e.g. Diavolezza www.diavolezza.ch for aa real high mountain experience. You could combine this with Alp Grüm perhaps or with a short stroll into the Morteratsch valley for example to get a real good impression of the mountains without to much physical effort.

Hoping on and off the Bernina Express is not possible, you would have to pay a reservation fee for each new boarding of the express. You could however do so taking the local train on the same tracks instead of the Express.

With your limited time, I would find it a pitty to backtrack for almost all the journey. You could easily start from Milano to Tirano, then see the Bernina line (either the express or any train, have a look at the timetables on www.sbb.ch ), then stay overnight in the Engadin St. Moritz area and continue with the bus along the lake plateau of the Upper Engadin and down the steep Maloja pass and through the narrow romantic Bregaglia valley - passing through all those timy farmers hamlets where you can observe everyday life in this remote part - to Chiavenna in Italy, from where you take the train to your next destination on Lake Como.

There are lockers at most of the train stations.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

I would definitely stay in the St Moritz area for one night to experience this wonderful alpine region.

On leaving Tirano head for St Moritz and either deposit your bag at the station or leave it at tour hotel, it may be too early to check in. You may then want to return to one of the sights you passed on your journey or a trip on the funicular to Muottos Muragl with its fantastic views of the region.

The local villages of Bever ,Zuoz or Zernez are nice to wander around and are noted for their decorative buildings.

Returning south back to Milano if you have time you can take the big round trip by train taking the Glacier Express as far as Andermatt then local train to Goschenen changing for a mainline train for Lugano or Milan.

You can make a quicker connection to Lugano by bus! There is one bus a day over the spectacular Majola pass to Lugano which is a favourite trip of mine.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Muottas Muragl unfortunately will not be open beginning of May.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Hi both,

Thanks for your input. I have changed my plan and now looking to stay 2 nights in Swiss. if i took the Bernina express from Tirano to St Moritz on 8th May so the first train to reach St Moritz at 11.12. Can i then take any other local train from St Moritz to Chur? Reason for doing this as i would like to be in Chur to spend the day exploring the city and stay a night in Chur. The direct Bernina train from Tirano to Chur only gets to Chur at 1827. I would like to spend a day in Chur and go to St Moritz the next day.

The next morning, I would like to take the bernina or local train from Chur to St Moritz and stay a night in St Moritz. Can i get on the local train from Chur to St Moritz as Bernina doesnt seem to stop by St Moritz.

Any suggestions on hotels in Chur and St Moritz?

I have done some research

Chur

- is ABC Swiss Quality hotel or Romantik Hotel Stern better? I would like somewhere i can explore the town by foot with good view

Should i stay in St Moritz? Or any other village nearby? Please suggest a great hotel (not on budget and willing to splurge!)

I really want to go to Badrutt’s Palace hotel but it’s closed the time I visit. Which other hotels should I consider? Kulm hotel, Kempinski or Subrette? There will be 3 of us going there now so need a room that allow 3 guests in the room. I want a hotel with GREAT view to the Alps, lake and easy access to shops/restaurants/cafes, train station too as will be taking train back to Tirano the next day, if there is any?

Keen to hear your views.

Edited: 2:40 am, April 17, 2013
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Well, it's your holidays and it's an awful lot of trains - for me it would be too much and then also almost all the trip with backtracking when you could see different areas. But I respect your decision of course.

Certainly you can take any local train anytime, I dont know why you could not. Have a look at the timetables on www.sbb.ch

If you are not on a budget, in Chur I would prefer Hotel Stern, it's unique and very traditional, but dont expect a view, it's in the city. And then, as already mentioned, Chur is not in the mountains.

In St. Moritz, unfortunately all the 5-star and most of the 4-star hotels are closed in May. Have a look at the booking tool on www.engadin.stmoritz.ch - enter your dates and the 3 persons and all the vacancies you get are the hotels still open. You however will not be able to get the "cable cars included" special, as this is with two nights or more only. For easy access to shops, restaurants, cafes, look right in the center (eg. Hotel Hauser in St Moritz Dorf), but be prepared that most of the shops,restaurants and cafes you will see e.g. on Google maps will be closed in may and there is street construction going on. For the train station, dont bother, take a taxi or ask the hotel for the shuttle.

Another idea would be to stay in one of the other villages, so dont limit your search to St. Moritz.

And last but not least, instead of backtracking to Tirano, consider the alternative route I explained to you. And be aware that it absolutely does not make a difference if you take a local train or the "express", it's not faster and it's all on the same tracks, so the same views.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

Hi,

would you suggest that i stay 2 nights in St Moritz instead and then take train to see Chur or o ther nearby towns/villages during the day? any recommendations?

Bus sounds interesting, i dont mind taking the bus back down to Italy, do you have the website i can book my tickets? Just to confirm it will be from St. Moritz to Chiavenna bus stop? Will it be a long track compared to taking train?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

It is a long way to Chur and back anyway, 2 hours each leg and backtracking, depends on you if you are prepared to do this for a couple of hours sightseeing. It's a small town and only the (small) old part is nice.

If you stay two nights in the St. Moritz area, profit from being in the mountains and do an excursion here instead, e.g. Diavolezza which is open in May and which is included in your complimentary pass and/or go have a look at the small typical villages as e.g. Zuoz downvalley (or even further down towards or to Scuol) or upvalley to Sils - IMO more rewarding than Chur anyway.

The bus is included in the Swiss travel system. Go to the website www.sbb.ch I gave you and check timetables and prizes there. Fill in "St. Moritz" or wherever you stay as departing point and your destination (I dont know which one, as once you say Milano and another time you say Lake Como, so put the actual location) and the exact date and you get all your connections. It's not longer than going back over the Bernina to Tirano and from there to I dont know where you want to go.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tirano to St. Moritz or Chur by Bernina Express?

And have a look at the passes here: http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/en/home.html perhaps one of the options could be good for you.