We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Hi,

I read with interest the tips and suggestion on travel options and places to see.

I am going in Dec - can anyone help? We are from the tropic so how bad is the cold? We had been to Europe during winter, up to 0-5 degree celcius was fine.

We love photography and would so love to see the Alps and the scenery. What are the must do at St Moritz during this time? It is worth making the day trip from MIlan?

Appreciate advice/suggestion to help with our planning.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

The scenery in winter is beautiful and you dont have to be outside too much if you dont like it. This is a dry cold, not much humidity in the air, so you feel much warmer as e.g. in Milan under the cloud cover. I however would do the journey just with good weather. Check the forecast the day before you travel on www.engadin.stmoritz.ch, this is the most reliable one for the area. Mountain weather is difficult to predict, and the Engadin valley has a vey specific weather pattern.

You could e.g. travel up throuth Tirano and on the Bernina line, then get off at Morteratsch for a short hike into the valley if you have adequate shoes. The trail is very nicely groomed, but anyway, it will be on snow. The views there howeveer is beautiful. Then you could continue and travel to St. Moritz and on along the lakes and down the Bernina pass by bus to Chiavenna and on to Milano. Check you travel times on www.sbb.ch

Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Thanks Engadiner,

Your suggestion looks good! I'll do some reading/research and initial plan.

Most will going to have questions after - Hope you don't mind answering me.

Can't wait until Dec.

Cheers,

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Just write your questions and I will try to answer them. Just be patient, as I am travelling during off-season and do not check TA each day.

Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Hi Engadiner,

No worries! I'm just so grateful to get answer to my questions.

I'm in Milan from 16 to 20 Dec staying around Piazza Lima. Any one of those day is good for this excursion. Finger cross I'll get fine weather.

Check on www.sbb.ch but can't get schedule for 17 Dec with start location "Tirano" and end destination "Diavolezza". (not even sure if this is even right!). I can find schedule for 4 Nov though. Is train service still operating in Dec?

1) Suggested hike at Morteratsch - Are you referring to the glacier walk near the Morteratsch train station? How long do I have at this stop?

2) After the hike you mentioned continue on to St. Moritz - this is where I get confused. I see a Chur but no St Moritz in the list of stop when checking Bernina Express line. Am I looking at the wrong train service?

3) I read Bernina Diavolezza is nice. There is a cable ride to the scenic top. Can I work this stop into the plan? How long do I have at this stop?

4) Bus ride to Chiavenna and on to Milano - is this the Palm Express? Where can I take this bus to Chiavenna? How many buses is there per day? Does the bus go straight to Milano or I need to change to train?

5) I am also interested to go to Como and up the tram to Brunate. I'm open to staying overnight if it can shorten the travel and/or allow more time for St Moritz excursion.

5) Any travel card that allows for trip saving for this excursion?

I have so many questions after doing my reading/research. I'm really keen to make the trip happen so I hope you don't mind helping me with the travel plan.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Ok, I shall try to answer your questions, but at the moment am on a tiny screen - I will do my best:

1) This is no glacier walk. The glacier walk is in summer and starts up on Diavolezza going down to Morteratsch and is best done with the group with a guide. The one I mentioned is an easy and well groomed path into the valley towards the glacier with very nice views. It will take you appx. 1 1/4 hours to get all in to the base of the glacier, ca. 1 hour back. You however dont have to do it all to the end if your time is restricted. The first very nice photo options are after the first bend, just steps from the station, but it gets obviously better all the time. You have as long as you want at this stop, there is a train once an hour (not with the Bernina EXPRESS however, this one goes straight throug)

2) You have most probably looked only at the Bernina EXPRESS schedule. You should check your connections on www.sbb.ch. The new timetable for the winter schedule however gets online only after the change, but it does not change much, so check with whatever dates you get, make sure it's the same weekdays however

3) You got this wrong. Bernina Diavolezza is nothing special, it's just a tiny shack where the train stops and from there you walk some steps to the valley station of the cable car. It's DIAVOLEZZA itself that is nice and a real high mountain experience.

4) No, this is not the Palm Express, but any postal bus to Chiavenna. Check all those connections as well on www.sbb.ch - you have to change to the train, no direct bus (except the Autostradale during peak season, but IMO is has a complicated timetable, it's difficult to know when it runs and when not.

5) If you want to stay overnight, I would suggest to do so in the St. Moritz area. You should still be able to get a good deal this time of year, as it is the start of the season and high prizes kick in around Christmas.

Seccond 5) unfortunately not this time of year. There is a ski pass in winter, but that does not help you.

Hope this helps

Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Thanks Engadiner for helping me with theplanning. Sorry for the long silence - been busy with work this week.

1) How many stops are there in the regional train along Benina Route to St Moritz? Is the route map stated in this URL (right bottom) the regional one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernina_Railway.

2) I want to do the walk suggested on item (1) on Nov 4 response - I take the train to Diavolezza station? Walk on groomed path towards the glacier and then return to same train station?

3) Is there any stop after Diavolezza that is interesting? Morteratsch sound interesting - it is worth a quick stop? Is normal hiking shoe sufficient for the hike/walk in the valley?

4) What are the scenic section to watch for along train ride to St Moritz? Any tips on where we should sit to get better view at that section?

5) Which train station should we stop to catch the postal bus to Chiavenna? How regular is the bus service each day? Can you elaborate on this sector & how we get back to Milano (train? bus?)

6) I tried to get train route/cost at www.sbb.ch - From - "Tirano, Stazione" To - "Diavolezza" via "Chiavennia". I get the message "Your input is ambiguous. Please select from the selection list". There are multiple options for "Diavelezza" but I don't know which to select. Can you help?

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions.

Best Regards,

Bee Hong

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

There is a certain amount of confusion here, so lets try to sort it out - if I do not success from here as I am working on a small screen, I shall try to help you once I will be back in a week.

1) this changes and you should check the exact train you will take to know for sure. On the www.sbb.ch itinerary you see a train number you can click to, this opens a separate window the whole itinerary for this specific train with all the stops

2) and 3) No, the "Bernina Diavolezza" station is just to get up to Diavolezza www.diavolezza.ch , for the hike you get off at the "Morteratsch" station. There are hiking shoes and hiking shoes, please specify what you are wearing. They have to have a good sole with a good tracktion in winter and you would need socks to keep you warm. If you feel cold, dont go all the way, just return to the station and get a warm drink in the restaurant there. At this station, there is the small hotel with a restaurant with a sunny terrace and the train station and in winter nothing else (in summer there is an alp with show cheesemaking)

4) I would say the best view is on the left side in the direction the train travels. There are too many beautiful sights to list them all here. If you want to see it before you go, check Google Street View, the whole line is in there (the first ever train ride to be on Street View)

5) You will definitively have to check this one on www.sbb.ch for your exact date, I can not give you this answer. You change from the train to the bus at St. Moritz. This is as far as the train goes, from there on it's bus only.

6) no wonder you got nothing with this search. Its a completely wrong input. You first travel Tirano to St. Moritz. Then you travel St. Moritz to Milano by Chiavenna. Put it in this order and you will get results.

Hope this helps

Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Your last reply cleared a lot of my confusion. Sorry - must be all my reading/reseach getting all the facts mixed up.

1) "Morteratsch" station - we have woolen socks and our hiking shoes are probably not suitable for snow/ice condition. Will it be too slippery to go part way for quick look around, photography then have a hot drink/meal at the restaurant? It is still worth a stop here?

2) What is the different between the schedule stating just "St Moritz" vs "St Moritz, Bahnhof"? I know Bahnhof is the Swiss train station.

a) From St Mortiz train station, where can we catch the bus to Chiavenna?

b) What is the cost of the bus ticket? I read it is possible to buy ticket in EURO - it is true?

c) I have about 1.5 hours in Chiavenna before taking the train back to Milano. Is there anything interesting in Chiavenna?

3) I read about this integrated ticket for 1 day/2 days called "I travel anywhere in Lombardy" - usable for Milano/Tirano or Chiavenna/Milano sector. Is this available? Where can I buy this ticket?

4) Tentative travel plan - it is workable?

06.20 – 08.50 Milano to Tirano (Trenord)

09.40 – 12.09 Tirano to St Moritz.

Stop at Morteratsch. Catch next train to St Moritz

14:08 – 15:51 (or next bus 15:08) St Moritz to Chiavenna (Bus)

17:28 – 19.45 (or next train 19.30) Chiavenna to Milano (Trenord)

Thanks for helping me with my planning.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

1) if the shoes keep you warm, it will do. In December the path is snowcovered, so if your soles have a profile, they will hold. Not a lot of ice to be expected in December and the path is really very nicely groomed daily. Walk as far as you want/can. The first photo-spot is right after the first bend - steps from the station and it gets better to further inn you go, but if you dont feel save, take your photos at the first opportunity and get back - or relax a short time on one of the benches along the trail. It's always worth doing this.

2) the sbb site gives you a choice of every stop of a public transport in each place in Switzerland. If you just change from train to bus or from one train to another, choose "Bahnhof". If you want to explore St. Moritz, have a look at the map and you see the other options the site gives you.

a) leaves from the train station

b) the cost is indicated if you choose your exact connection. You may buy this in one ticket and get off and on - if a light bulb pops up, check it and it will inform you of a better offer for your choosen itinerary. You may pay in Euro, but you get the return money in Swiss Francs, or you may pay with a credit card if you dont want to change to Swiss Francs for just a day excursion.

3) you should ask this in the Milano or Lombardy forum probably

4) Leave Miano 06.20, arrive Tirano 08.50, time for a coffee and a short stroll through the northern Italian town

Leave Tirano 09.40, very scenic train journey and arrive Morteratsch 11.31, hike toward the glacier (a sidetrip to Diavolezza is not possible in December, as the cablecar there is closed for maintenance until Dec. 22), have lunch at the Morteratsch restaurant http://www.morteratsch.ch/

Leave Morteratsch 13.31, arrive St. Moritz 14.08 at the train station. Either stroll along the lake and/or get to the pedestrian ramp to the parking and out to the viewing platform for some photos. If you want to do some more steps, walk along the lake to St. Moritz Bad (means spa, not "bad", this is where the Engadin St. Moritz tourism began, when mineral water and mountain air became known for their healing factors).

Leave St. Moritz train station by bus at 15.08 (or at "Reithalle" at the end of the lake at 15.10 or at the post office in St. Moritz Bad at 15.12) for Chiavenna, arriving 17.01 after a journey along the lake plateau (sit left side of the bus) and down the steep Maloja pas through the farmers hamlets along the road in the narrow Bregaglia valley, where during the winter months not a single sunray makes it to the base of the valley - while the transfer road avoids the villages and hamlets, the bus goes through them and stops in each of them, so you see how people live, but the journey for that takes longer, but you will not regret it

In Chiavenna, the bus arrives at the train station and you get a train to Colico at 17.28, thus you can have a short time meandering the narrow streets of the Chiavenna city center, it's just steps from the train station - or on a saturday, visit the lively market close to the train station, but it will be already low or closing down this hour

Arrive Colico at 17.58 for your next conenction at 18.16 to arrive in Milano centrale at 19.40 h.

I put in December 9, so you might get slightly differnt times with your exact travel date. Be sure to make the journey only with a good weather forecast. Check the one here: www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/winter/en/#weather and have a look at the local forecasts for the places you want to visit. This is specialized for the area.

Singapore
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip Milan to St. Moritz in Dec - need help with plannin

Great!

Thanks for your detail description of trip itinerary. Finger cross for good weather while I'm in Milan so that this trip is possible.

1.5 weeks more and I will be there! Can't wait.

I'll write a report of my experience on my return so that other can benefit.