We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Mortitz Station cafe?

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
St Mortitz Station cafe?

Hi We will have around 1.5hrs to fill in once arriving at St Moritz b4 boarding a regional to Zurich. Is there a kiosk/cafe on the stn that we can fill in the time.

As we will have luggage we did not think it would be appropriate to try & walk into town

Thx for any replies

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

Hi there,

Yes, quite a decent one with seating - in the main building nextdoor to the ticket sales.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

Great thx Erik

Its just something to do to fill in time

Cheers

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

Hi Peggysue45,

There are luggage lockers in the station. I think it would be a shame to be so close and not see anything of the town. You may want to get out and stretch your legs a bit -- walk down to the lake and back again. Then pick up a sandwhich from the cafe to eat on the train as you go to Zürich.

Have fun!

s

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

You dont tell when this will be. If during season, you will have several option. Do as Swandav recommends and store your luggage in the lockers to enjoy the area a little. I would not stay for 1.5 h in the cafe at the station as Erik suggests, it's not a very nice place for such a long time and it smells from grease and you get much better food elsewhere when it is for this. You could either go up to the village center and stroll around there and do some windowshopping (mostly designer boutiques and jewellers). What I would do would be the following:

From the lugagge storage, proceed to the end of the station and cross the square to get on the ramp leading to the parking garage, which you cross until you exit to a large hall. Keep lefthand and you are on a viewing platform with a nice view over the lake and the mountains. If you are looking for lunch e.g., you have 4 options within a short walk

To your left if you are standing towards the lake:

You could go to hotel Bellaval, this is good homecooked food at a decent prize. From there, you just pass an pedestrian underpass to be back at the staiton.

Some steps further along the lake, cross the brige and you will see to your left Restaurant Innfall, always good daily changing menues and a good selection. Cozy restaurant with local wood interior.

Passing there, some more steps uphill, there is the hotel Waldhaus with a dining room with a spectacular view of the lake. It's more upscale but a very good cuisine.

If you descend from the viewing platform and go right, toward St. Moritz Bad (means Spa, not bad), there is the restaurant Segelclub on the lake. A good cuisine and good prizes and some local specialities as well.

This way you would at least have had a glimpse at the beautifully scenic surroundings of St. Moritz.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

>We will have around 1.5hrs to fill in once arriving at St Moritz b4 boarding a regional to Zurich.

That's is a long time to wait for a Swiss train connection. Trains leave at least hourly to Chur and on to Zurich HB.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

Thx Swandav & Engadiner Great to know there are luggage lockers & thank you for the directions so as we may try & see a small part of St Moritz

We wil be there early January

Swiss we are arriving on the BE & while we can see the BE schedule we are unable to look that far in advance for a regional timetable so just going on what we can see now.

The BE arrives @ 11.12am or there abouts from Triano with from what we could see the next regional @ 13.00pm approx

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

Hi again,

If you'd rather not wait (but stopping to see St. Moritz is always a good idea!), you can get the onward train schedule from the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

just enter

From St Moritz

To Zurich

and unput the departure time as 11.30.

Have fun!

s

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

Swan if I put in the dates we are wanting a timetable ie: 3rd January 2013 we receive this message "You have selected a date after the end of the timetable period (11.12.11 - 08.12.12). " unless u can see further than I can.

We'll just leave it up to our agent to sort if out for us. But I think seeing a little part of St Moritz will be nice if nothing else to tell family & friends that we did lol

Thx heaps

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

Hi again,

The rail schedules switch over to the winter timetable on/about 8 or 12 December, so anything after that date isn't loaded yet.

But the timetable won't change by much -- maybe 10 or 15 minutes if at all. Just use a day of today or tomorrow, and you'll see how often the trains run.

I like to control my own travel myself and wouldn't leave it to an agent -- especially one who tells you you have to wait for 90 minutes for a train connection!

s

Edited: 1:31 am, October 02, 2012
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Mortitz Station cafe?

As suggested by Swandav, have a look at timetables closer to now, the changes are not big. And you dont need an agent or even a reservation on a local train. This makes it possible for you to get on any train you want, earlier or later. The trains for Chur (change) and then on to Zurich depart once an hour regularly during day-time.