We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the drive ?

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Worth the drive ?

Staying in the Lake Como Italy region for a week and considering a day trip to St. Moritz. I have booked a hotel in St. Moritz but now curious if the expense is worth the trip? I understand I am on the St. Moritz forum so opinions will be somewhat biased. I appreciate honest input.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,424 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth the drive ?

Hi bwasson14

The St. Moritz area is unique and really wonderfull. It would be worth much more time.

pore

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth the drive ?

Definitively recommendable. Gorgeous scenery and very different from Lago di Como area. St. Moritz itself is not to everybodys taste - a place for the rich and built up, but the surrounding mountains are stunning. Be sure to take at least one mountain trip up to Corvatsch, Muottas Muragl or Diavolezza. And take the Bernina pass route on your way to or from the Lago di Como.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth the drive ?

As you probably expect my opinion to be biased and not honest, I refrain from giving it.

Verbier
Level Contributor
20 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth the drive ?

Well worth the drive, check out some of the other villages in the valley

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth the drive ?

Just did this drive yesterday. (Had been staying in Sils and were en route back to Martigny in the Valais).

the road around lake Como is very very slow. There are a lot of small towns with 50km speed limits and the road is narrow - so narrow in some places that one is right up against a wall if a car is coming in the opposite direction. The best road is in the tunnels but then you do not see the lake.

Once you get pasdt Chiavenna all this changes and it is totally, utterly glorious driving up the Val Bregaglia. The scenery is magnificent and so are the little villages. Do stop, park and walk around. Then you go up the Maloja pass, which has several hairpin bends but is overall an easy drive. This brings you to Maloja and on via Sils and Silvaplana to St Moritz. On Engadiner's advice we stayed in Sils Baseglia and absolutely loved it. Our hotel was excellent (la Margna) but there were other hotels in Sils ranging from the 5 star Waldhaus which dominates the village to simple pensions. Sils is a gem! I would defintely stay in sils, or Silvaplana or Champfer (Have stayed before in Champfer) rather than St Moritz which is a large town really. We have stayed "in town" several times over the last 45 years and now would not consider it anymore. The villages are so, so beautiful. And quiet! Any one of them would be a total contrast to Milan or to lake Como!!

6. Re: Worth the drive ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 14, 2013