We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
444 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

My wife and I are thinking of renting a car in Zurich (Avis), driving to Appenzell, then driving to Samedan, dropping off the car. Is it fairly simple to take the train from there to St. Moritz to catch the Glasier Express.

We'll possibly take the Glasier Express to Andermatt, stay a night, then take the G.E. on to Zermatt.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

Very easy - see all timetables, connections and prices on www.rail.ch

Depending on your plans for Apenzell it may be possible to do the whole trip by rail cheaper (taking into account sometimes expensive overnight parking, fuel etc).

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

Take the train. There are direct trains from Zurich Airport to St Gallen though you can change trains at Gossau too if your train stops there for a direct train to Appenzell. Some hotels in Appenzell give out a visitors card which enttitles you to free and discounted attractions and transport.

You can take a direct train from St Gallen to Landquart changing for the RhB railway take the train to St Moritz via Klosters so as you don't duplicate your route on the Glacier Express.

I think that the Swiss Flexi Pass saver would be an ideal travel pass to use on your journies. www.swisstravelsystem.com

Germany
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

You can easily catch the Glacier Express in Samedan, it's just two stops after it starts in St. Moritz.

Another vote to travel by train from Zürich via Appenzell to Samedan.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

You dont have to get to St. Moritz to take the GE, just bord it in Samedan when it passes through.

I would not rent a car for this, you would pay huge one-way fees for this rental, as the company would have to send someone to drive the car back to Zurich. You realy are better off doing this whole itinerary by train, and yes, take the Vereina line coming into the Engadin and then the Albula line (Glacier Express goes on the Albula) for your journey back.

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
444 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

We are going to do some things in St. Moritz then on to Glasier Express.

I want to drive at least some part of Switzerland, since I don't get to drive stick shifts here in Oregon. Is there a better area to drive?

After the Zermatt region we will probably be heading up to the Bernese Oberland area.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

How many days are you planing to stay in the Engadin St. Moritz area? You could probably rent a car for the day and return it at the same place. Many people do pass roads as they are fun driving, but you need some driving skills to do so, as they are mostly narrow and winding. You would want to avoid one-way rentals, just for driving for the fun of it does not justify the huge drop-off fees. If you want to spend that much money, check the fun-packages. Last year e.g. the 5-star Kulm Hotel in St. Moritz had a package with an Italian super car to drive mouintain passes - you might find such offers for 2012 as well, depending on when you plan to travel - you did not mention this in your post.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

Usually I recommend to travel by train through Switzerland. But in this case I think a car is not the worst option. Appenzell is quite rural. There are trains and busses too but the schedule is not dense and you are able to see more of this area if you travel by car. You could for instance visit the cheese production in Stein, take the cable car up to Hoher Kasten or Ebenalp and then check out the small but charming towns of Appenzell or Gais in one day - something you wouldn't be able to do by public transportation. And if you don't mind mountain driving then the route to Samedan/St. Moritz is very scenic. You could drive over Flüela, Julier or Albula (my favourite one) pass - very different from the train route which goes through a tunnel.

Concerning the costs: Yes, there are extra charges for the one way rental. I just checked a booking with Avis - the surcharge was around CHF 100. Not outrageous, but you have to decide whether it's worth for you or not.

How many days are you planning for this trip? You should plan to stay for at least one night in Appenzell area (better 2-3 nights), no matter if you travel by car or public transportation. Otherwise forget at all about the route and go straight to Samedan.

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
444 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

So far this is where we are.

We are planning on staying in rentals near Appenzell and going to various places from there. Then on to the St. Moritz area, same thing.

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
444 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

My post timed out!

From St Moritz we will take the train to Zermatt, stay at a rental or B&B, then train up to Bernese Oberland area and again stay at a rental.

Each place we will stay at least 2 or more days.

This all happens in September.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car Appenzell to St Moritz

The difficulty here will be to find rentals for 2 days, as they mostly go for a week from Saturday to Saturday and the implete a cleaning fee at the end of you stay which makes sense only if you really stay the week. Mostly you pay the week even if you stay just part of it.

In the Engadin St. Moritz area, hotels will offer you a complimentary pass for the mountain cable cars or even the whole public transport. See …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ for details. As you probably will start in one place and go back from another, this makes sense to have the public transport included to bring you back to your accomodation. With your car, you are forced to return back to your car, complicating things and limiting your excursion options.