We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

Markham, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

I'll be traveling to St. Moritz in December. I've planned to visit Muottas Muragl and Diavolezza, which I got the info from this forum that they both got fantastic scencery.

However, I just found out Diavolezza cableway is under major renovation during that period (www.diavolezza.ch/en/diavolezza/umbau-umwelt/), may I ask what other mountains are good to visit?

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Muottas Muragl
Muottas Muragl
620 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Diavolezza
Diavolezza
465 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

The views from Corvatsch and Corviglia/Piz Nair above St. Moritz are equally spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Piz Nair
Piz Nair
339 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Germany
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

Bad timing, I'd say, sorry. IMO the views from Piz Nair and Piz Corvatsch cannot really compete with Diavolezza's. In winter maybe a little more than in summer as it will (hopefully) be all white around you - in summer the glaciers seen from Diavolezza are simply breathtaking while there are almost no glaciers in view from Piz Nair (or very distant).

On a beautiful day I'd rather go up Piz Corvatsch than Piz Nair.

Or why not doing a hike or horse-drawn carriage/sleigh ride from Sils to Fex Valley or Pontresina to Roseg Valley? More fun IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Piz Nair
Piz Nair
339 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Diavolezza
Diavolezza
465 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Pontresina
Pontresina
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

You got good alternatives already mentioned, consider also a hike into the Morteratsch valley, possibly in combination with a train ride on the Bernina line, as it's one of the stops. There is an easy and rewarding winter hike into the valley just to the foot of the glacier. Dont start too early in the morning, as you will be in the shadows then in December. Do the train trip first and go off at Morteratsch on your return.

Mentioned in this post
Bernina
Bernina
229 Reviews
Tirano, Italy
Markham, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

Thank you for all the suggestions. they all sound very interesting.

May I ask how to go to Piz Corvatsch from St. Moritz?

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

It's 15 mins on public transport bus. Drops you right outside the cable car station.

6. Re: Extensive modernisation of the Diavolezza aerial cableway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 24, 2012