We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Express

Victoria
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Express

We have been told to trip the train from Zermatt to St Moritz not vice versa?? Surely it's the same??

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
407 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Glacier Express

Sounds good.....

KL
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Glacier Express

Hihi, I will be in Davos on the 9th December 2011 and thinking of taking either the Glacier Express or Bernina Express - from the RHB website it seems that the Glacier Express doesnt run in winter ? this true?

If it doesn't then I'm left with no choice but Bernina Express then ... but again, the RHB website seem to imply that the Tirano - Lugano bus only operates daily in the summer ? I tried booking online but dont seem able to ...

Thanks for kind advice in advance ...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,298 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Glacier Express

Hi, first, other than the initial perspective for the views, it makes no difference which way you travel on the GE. Also, it runs in winter - I've taken it in winter. There is a break in service in the late Autumn (October-November) when they refurbish the carriages, etc.

I hope this helps.

KL
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Glacier Express

Thanks, I emailed the helpdesk and they have responded ! Confirmed that the GE doesnt operate on the date I was thinking, 9th December :-(

So guess the alternative is to take a normal train if there is from Davos to Zermatt ? or do the Bernina Express (but only up to Tirano) ?

Cant decide which one ...

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Glacier Express

The Bernina Express does not pass Davos, the Bernina Pass being the connection over the mountains between St. Moritz and Poschiavo. You are on the other side of the Alps in Davos.

It's correct that the bus from Tirano to Lugano is operated only during the summer season.

The local train from St. Moritz to Poschiavo - Tirano is a good alternative to the Bernina Express, as it runs on exactly the same track, so has the same stupendous views and trains run year-round.

16. Re: Glacier Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 21, 2012