We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Swanky Hotel

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington
Level Contributor
160 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Most Swanky Hotel

Yo Dudes,

I am thinking of taking my soon to be wife to St Mortiz for a weekend in November. I heard this was one of the more glamours Ski resorts in Switzerland and the Celebs choice.

What is the most impressive hotel I can stay in here. Price isn't really an issue as I'll just borrow money if I have to.

I'm not looking to celeb spot but somewhere the rich and famous stay would be good. Just to tell her "this is where xxx stays when they go skiing"

She's impressed by things like that.

Cheers

Chris

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
224 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g188091-St_Moritz_Eng…

Looks like Badrutt's is the traveller's choice. Looks beautiful.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

Hi, I would look at Davos maybe as well . That is, afterall, where the royals seem to prefer! Many rich and famous seem to enjoy Gstaad as well as several other Swiss resorts such as Zermatt and Verbier. However, the rich and famous usually rent their own villa in these places because the problems withpaparazzi are just too much if they stay in a public hotel! The problem you may have is that in November these places are all pretty slow and some hotels may not even be up to full staff for the winter yet.

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

I agree with Kileysmom (again)! Why November? Probably the most non-descript month in the Alpine Calendar! If you want to impress your lady you want to take her over New Year or the Cartier Polo events if you want to rub up against the great and the good (allegedly)!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

The rich and famous will not be holidaying in Switzerand in November! they tend to be here over Christmas and New Year, and in February. Otherwise they go to the Caribbean or Bali and, when they are here, as KM says, most of them have their own chalets!!

November is a dreary month almost everywhere here - no! I re-phrase that! - November IS a dreary month everywhere here!! In the resorts the hotels and restaurants are shut and unless you want to impress your girlfriend by taking her out for a pizza you will find the choice of places to eat as dismal as the weather!!

February is really the time to come. Longer days, lots of sunshine in the mountains, sparkling snow and - plenty of the "RnF" crowd.

As for st Moritz hotels - the Palace and the Kulm in town, the Suvretta House jsut outside town are the places to see and be seen. However I have heard that my own very favourite hotel, the Chesa Guardalej, is being renovated to 5 star standard and will open in December for the winter season. The Guardalej is about 5km outside St Moritz in Champfer.

Warrington
Level Contributor
160 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

Thanks for the Advice guys. I guess I'll give this place a miss. It's her 30th on the 3rd of November. Thats why I'm looking at places then.

She's always fancied skiing so I thought why not. If it's as dead as you say though it's probably not worth it.

Cheers

Chris

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

Hi, November is a bad month for skiing almost any place! You might think about some time on one of the artificial slopes there in the UK so she can learn a little before going to a ski resort. A learner usually needs a week of lessons to become comfortable enough that they go away feeling like a miserable failure and hating skiing!

Hope you find a great gift!

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

Take her out for a nice meal on her Birthday. Half way through the meal whip out the brochure for the St Moritz hotel of your choice saying you are both going there on (insert date). I'm sure you will be suitably rewarded!!!!! P.s. The Engadine Valley and Mountains are truly beautiful in the winter and I would urge you to make a visit. Good luck.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

Just read my last post and realized I left out a "don't" in the sentence about going away feeling like a failure!

Great idea, JoeDevlin!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
224 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

LOL! @ Kileysmom!

JoeDevlin's plan is a really good one! Give her lessons and a trip on her birthday - but just the future of it - at your fav. restaurant or with a wonderful, romantic meal at home - with candles, roses and all the fixings.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Swanky Hotel

As others suggested, what you are looking for would definitively be the legendary and excellent Badrutt's Palace Hotel, where for more than a century the rich and famous have stayed. In St. Moritz, VIPs usually are not likely to be reported during their stay. If you are looking for famous people wanting everybody to know where they stay, you would be better off at Gstaad.

The Badrutt's Palace is a beautiful hotel full of history (the first of the Palace hotels worldwide), but it opens for the winter season only on December 1, 2011. But they issue vouchers you could give as a birthday present (http://www.badruttspalace.com/geschenkidee2) and then be here during the season. As already mentioned, peak season for the rich and beautiful is the Christmas and New Year holidays, then again from End of January (Polo World Cup on snow) through February (horse races on the frozen lake, art and jewellery auctions, concerts and much more). For this period, make bookings well ahead of time, as the whole area will be booked then. Prizes of course are peak then as well.

If you want a less expensive option but travel during this time, consider staying in a lower hotel category and going to one or several of the 5-star hotels (there will be 8 of them in winter 2012) for high-tea in their halls. It's always fun for people-watching and you have not the dress-code usually enforced after 17.00 h in this hotels.