We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Swiss motorway vignette

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
'Swiss motorway vignette

Hi

I am going to Swiss by route:

Milan-------Rifugio Menaggio, Switzerland--------Soglio, Switzerland------Via Surpunt 58, St. Moritz, Svizzera----------Pass Da Val Mera,---- Poschiavo, -----Bernina, Svizzera-------Tirano, Switzerland-------------Sondrio, Italy-------Milan

I have hired a car from Milan. My question is if the above route has any swiss motorway or not. If yes then I will take the 'Swiss motorway vignette ' from Milan itself(car company is charging 15 euro) otherwise I can skip that. My motive is to enjoy the landscape rather than natural beauty.....so can skip the motorway if possible.

Regards,

nishant

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Swiss motorway vignette

why don't you use

http://www.viamichelin.it/

and type "panoramico". Then the route normally will be automatically calculated by using only toll free streets. You can check that in the result box.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Swiss motorway vignette

Hey, maetzli, it's nice to see you again!

There is also a choice on viamichelin that allows you to choose avoiding tolls or avoiding motorways. It's not easy to do sometimes and can end up costing more in petrol than the vignette. If you do the maths, you can figure out the costs.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
224 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Swiss motorway vignette

Considering that the vignette normally costs CHF 40, I would go for the deal from the rental company, and then you will be free to choose your route.

Marianne

Germany
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Swiss motorway vignette

Are you aware that some places on your route are not accessible by car?

Rifugio Menaggio e.g. requires a drive on very narrow, curvy roads up, finally leaving the car in a parking lot with only very limited capacity, and a 50 minutes hike.

Pass da Val Mera is far from any road, only accessible by hiking or mountainbike (experienced only).

Otherwise, no toll roads involved here.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Swiss motorway vignette

The only motorway that goes through the Grisons goes from Chur to the Splügen pass and into the Ticino. You won't be anywhere near that. Save the money and buy postcards instead!

I am however interested in the "deal" that the rental car company in Milano is offering you. In EUR 40CHF is about EUR 32 today. So 15EuR is a steal, if you needed it! I suspect they have done their homework and figured out that some people will return cars to them with valid stickers which have not cost the company anything... clever! Too bad the Frenc don't do the same at GVA airport.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Swiss motorway vignette

Thanks a lot for all your comments. As suggested by you I have not taken the ticket. The journey was the best that I have ever experinced in my life. Switzerland is really a heaven on earth.

7. Re: 'Swiss motorway vignette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, June 01, 2012