We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Moritz - another May traveler

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
St. Moritz - another May traveler

I know there have been several post about St. Moritz in May, so I apologize. I understand it's not necessarily the best time to go but it will be towards the very end of May (May 25 in St. Moritz specifically) We are traveling in to Zurich, staying the night and then on to Zermatt and St. Moritz before heading down in to Italy. We have will be in Zermatt 2 nights and 1 night in St. Moritz. I understand many things will be closed.

First: can anyone make recommendations on the restaurants that will possibly be open?

Second: We will be arriving by train that morning from Zermatt. (The time has yet to be determined which I know is a bit of a hindrance.) I have read the suggestions on some things to do in May in other posts. With only one day and night in St. Moritz, would there be enough time to do the diavolezza for the views AND go to Soglio? If not, what would be the better choice between the two?

Thanks for your help!

(similar post by me in the Zermatt forum as well if anyone information on that)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Moritz - another May traveler

With just one night, you will not be able to do much - you will not even be aware that it is low season. You will arrive after a day on the train in the evening, probably at 6.00 pm, says around 7.00 pm until you have checked in your hotel - dinner time. You could just have a walk along the lake. Depending on how you are going to Italy, you could visit Diavolezza on your way if you choose to go via Bernina / Tirano. You could leave your luggage at the locker at the valley station (if it is too bulcky, they would probably keep it for you at the office for the time you visit). Plan to have lunch at Diavolezza if weather is nice and continue down and to Tirano after that. Mind that the Bernina "express" may not stop at Bernina Diavolezza, so take a "normal" train for this route.

For Soglio, which is in the Bregaglia valley, you would need another day and if this would be an option, make sure you choose a hotel offering the whole public transport included with two overnight stays (the 3 icons), as this would cover Soglio as well on the complimentary day pass.

As for restaurants, you will have enough choice, depending in which hotel you stay, they may have restaurants also there. If you are looking for something special, please write again with more specifications.

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Moritz - another May traveler

Are you travelling on the Glacier Express from Zermatt? Remember it takes 7.5 hours so you won't be in St Moritz until 6:00pm as Engadiner says. You will have had a fantastic journey anyway, lunch on the train is excellent, beer is good!! There should be plenty of choice for eating, I stayed at the Hauser Hotel and the food was excellent.

3. Re: St. Moritz - another May traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, October 27, 2012