We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Moritz in last week of April

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
St. Moritz in last week of April

Hi, we are visiting Switzerland in last week of April and plan to travel to St. Moritz (from Zurich) eventually to take the Glacier Express to Zermatt. But we want to stay for two nights in St Moritz. We will reach on 29th April.

Is this time a low season? What can we expect at that time. We are interested mainly in sight seeing.

Thank you

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Moritz in last week of April

End of April is end of the winter season. Most services will close for maintenance after Easter. There however are always enough hotels and restaurants open also during this time of year and as long as you are not into designer shopping, you will find the shops open for what you need. School holidays start on May 9, 2011, and this is when most of the locals go for holidays after a busy season, so there is less open after this, but still, there are always people around and therefore always something open. This is the time a lot of tour busses are visiting the area and those gets want to be taken care of as well.

As for the mountain cable cars, Diavolezza will be open during low season, as they do their service when the others will reopen for the next winter season, and this would be really a great excursion for you to do. Also Corvatsch will be open until May 1, 2011.

What you can expect: still cool temperatures during night time, not so much during daytime if it is sunny. The snow will (hopefully) be gone in the village, but will still be present higher up. The lakes should be ice-free by then, as it is the time fishing season is starting. The nature however will still be in a transcient state, so no green hills and alpine flora at this time of year.

It's not that a bad time to visit, as everything is relaxed and calm, no hurry and never crowded as sometimes during season. If you come for nature and sight seeing, this is a good time.

You could do the train ride (Bernina Express line, has not necessarily to be the "express", just any train on this route) either to Poschiavo, which is a nice small town at the border to Italy. If going there and back is too much for you, you could opt to to as far as Alp Grüm (whereas the restaurants there will be closed, as they open early for the summer season on May 8) with a stop on Bernina Diavolezza to take the mountain cablecar up to the top for a real mountain feeling - ther restaurant there will be open and with good weather you could sit on the terrasse and enjoy the view. On you way back take another break and go off at Morteratsch for a hike towards the glacier (also there, the hotel will be closed). The hike is roughly one hour on a very well groomed path, but you have a beautiful sight already after the first bend, steps from the train station. Trains run regularly on this line with hourly departures. If you still have time, you could opt to hike back to your hotel or walk around one of the lakes before dinner. With this, you would not even be aware that the high season is over.

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Moritz in last week of April

thank you...your reply has opened up some new vistas. I will do my homework on these.

Finland
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Moritz in last week of April

Thanks for this great info. We're also coming late April by car from Lake Como and going to spend a day or so in St Moritz area.

Which cable car ride would you recommend to take, Diavolezza or Corvatsch?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Moritz in last week of April

Hi finzki, I personally would recommend Diavolezza. For me it's one of the highlights in the area if not in the whole alps. I live here and I go there a lot and I am breathless every and each time I sit on the terrasse and enjoy the sights. You are so close to peaks and glaciers and you sit in the (mostly warm, if not they have covers) mountain sun and grab a tan. And already to get there is spectacular with the ride up to Bernina Diavolezza.

If you however want the higher altitude, it's Corvatsch, with a wider panorama, if it's a good day, you even can descern the Matterhorn in the distance. Also there you have a terrasse for a meal to enjoy the mountain scenery at ease.

5. Re: St. Moritz in last week of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 17, 2012