We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier and Bernina Express

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier and Bernina Express

A Travel Agent in Australia ( over in Sydney) has said that the GE and BE were both heavily booked out in 2010 by Indian and Chinese tourists and that we should book a Holiday Package.

We are planning to come in Sept and will buy a Swiss Pass ( Pay a much reduced cost on both trains apparently?). We want to be flexible and see and do what we want to.

We have to wait for 6 months before to purchase the Pass and can't book anything yet. Can anyone validate this statement from the agent? Any suggestions? Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

Hi Rosie006,

Contact the folks who run the lines.

Glacier Express at

www.glacierexpress.ch

Bernina Express at

http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?id=33?&L=4

One thing to note -- regular trains run over the very same lines on the BE, and it's not possible to make reservations on the local trains. So they literally cannot be sold out.

Go ahead and make reservations online; if that doesn't work, e-mail the folks directly.

s

Western Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

Thanks for those links.

Will I be able to get a discounted rate with my Swiss Pass at the sites?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

Hi again,

I posted this on your other message -- that's one reason why it's often simpler to post your subsequent questions on the same thread.

You have to pay for seat reservations on the GE, and they are 33 chf in the summertime. If you want to use the touristed train on the BE, you also have to pay for seat reservations, and they are around 7 chf I think.

The information should be somewhere on the site. It is on the GE site.

s

canada
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

My experience with BE and GE are that I was only one of half a dozen passengers in the railcar. However, the BE bus was almost full and this is the reason you should book ahead. It is easy for the train to hitch an extra carriage, but more difficult to run a second bus at the same time slot.

The only times I found myself squeezed in a full train car were on the Centovalli route (the FART which is a narrow gauge commuter train). On one occasion it was because the chimneysweeps had their international meeting in a town along the route. It was fun for all.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

Thanks for that .

It seems so confusing - well to me anyway.

So-

We buy a Swiss Pass.

We buy a ticket on the GE and the BE (at a discounted cost).

Then we pay for a reservation (in other words for a set date and time).

Have I got this right?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

Hi again,

If you already have a Swiss Pass, you won't buy a ticket. All you need to buy is the seat reservations.

I know all the information seems overwhelming at times! The good news is that the Swiss ticket agents are super helpful! I've even e-mailed them my questions, and their responses are prompt and thorough!

s

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

Of course the agent tells you to buy a package from him. It's how he makes his living. I have rarely seen a fully booked Express train. If they are well booked, they just add one more carriage. In September, the peak season is over. There is a demand from Swiss people this time of year, as it's a perfect time for the mountain areas.What books out early is the bus connecting the Bernina Express from Lugano, as there is limited space and they cant just add a carriage to this one.

8. Re: Glacier and Bernina Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 15, 2012