We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna

western Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna

We are catching a train from Zurich to St Moritz and then a bus to Chiavenna in Italy as we have relatives that live near there. I went to the post bus site and it said the fare was 156 Euros for second class from St Moritz to Chiavenna. This can't surely be right as it is only about 40 kilometres. Can someone please give me some advise on the best and cheapest way to get from Zurich to Chiavenna.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,188 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna

Hi greenknee,

You can get the entire schedule at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Just enter Zurich as your departure and Chiavenna as your destination; you can buy one single ticket for the entire journy. According to the SBB, there are supersaver tickets for this route, and the fare would be 30 chf. The standard fare (for the whole trip) is 199 chf 2d class one way.

Have fun!

s

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna

I don't get it why this bus is so expensive. For sure it has to do with the fact, that this bus does not go under "service public", means is not needed to reach everybody in Switzerland by public transport.

Options I see for you are: Take the bus just to the border at Castasegna, Vecchia Dogana (till there it's not expensive from Zurich airport it's 92.60CHF) and ask your relatives to pick you up or send a taxi from Chiavenna. This is probably the cheapest option. There is also one Taxi in the Swiss area this hotel can help you with it. http://www.pranzaira.ch

Or simply take a taxi from St. Moritz, that will not be cheap, but still much less expensive than paying EACH 152 CHF (price of the sbb rail site you go from swandav)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,851 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna

Where do you get these 156 Fr from? The postbus.ch site shows clearly 24 Fr one way without half-fare cards, and 12 Fr with one. A taxi will most certainly be NOT cheaper.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna

Now I understand it!

I got it from www.sbb.ch/en (www.rail.ch) but when looking closer at it I got a crazy route they offer. The timetable is right, but the route for the ticket not. it's a bug of the website. To get the right price you just have to put the exact stops from: St. Moritz, Bahnhof to Chiavenna, Stazione

Edited: 5:02 am, November 19, 2010
5. Re: bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, May 19, 2011