We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Station at St. Moritz

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Topic
Train Station at St. Moritz

I would arriving at St. Moritz from Zurich through train in the evening and would be taking the glacier express next day.

Is the St. Moritz station on which I would be reaching from Zurich and the one from which I would be taking the glacier express the next day the same or there is a different station to catch glacier express

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

There is precisely one train station in St. Moritz.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

Altamiro is right. And arriving from Zurich, you will even travel on the same route as Glacier Express from Chur on. So you will do a backtracking next day for the first 2 hours!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

To avoid backtracking as mentioned by Oller, you could opt for the Vereina-line on your way from Zurich to St. Moritz. This would mean 2 (easy) changes more, but a completely different view. From Landquart (just before Chur), where you change from the fast train from Zurich, your journey would lead you up the valley to Klosters, where you change for the 18 minutes tunnel passage to the Engadin Valley. You then have another change in Sagliains, travelling along the Engadin valley and the river Inn towards the lake plateau of the Upper Engadin. Timewise it is comparable to the Albula line, where you will travel next day on the Glacier Express to Chur. This would make a nice round-trip. You find connections on www.sbb.ch by entering "Sagliains" in the VIA field.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,862 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

Since you will be coming from a relatively long flight from Dubai why not spend the night in Zurich, see something of that lovely city and then take the train to Chur (an hour) the next day to connect with the GE rather than trekking all the way down to St Moritz, spending a few hours most of which you will be sleeping, and then going back?

the stretch on the GE Chur to Andermatt is the most dramatic and to me anyway, the most beautiful (in fact I am going to Zurich this Sunday and will take the GE from Visp to Chur instead of the normal route through the Lotschberg just because I love the scenery!!)

This way you see Zurich AND take the GE!!

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll re-look at my travel plan.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

after much deliberation we have decided to go from Zurich to St Moritz to take the Glacier Express to Zermatt. We have booked Swiss Pass tickets for 15 days because we intend to travel back and up to Interlaken and then on to Geneva for our flight home. Our airline does not allow us to book our luggage through. Can anybody tell me if I can book luggage at each station , eg Zurich to St Moritz and St Moritz to Zermatt so we don't have to worry about luggage when we have to change trains, particularly on the way from Zurich to St M.

Any help please

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

For Cleopatra03,

Yes, you can send your bags on the train separately; here's the link:

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…reisegepaeck.htm

You'll see that the normal service costs 10 chf per bag and will take 48 hours. The Fast Baggage service costs 20 chf per bag; if you get it there before 09.00, you can pick it up after 18.00.

I do have to say that I don't think I would risk this if I were only staying someplace for one night. Also, if you are going on the Glacier Express, you won't be changing trains, so there wouldn't be much of a need, I think. But yes, you may want to do it for the Zürich to St. Moritz part, if you'll be there for more than a day.

Have fun!

s

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

Is there a Coop store in St. Moritz train station and any idea about the opening & closing time?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

To Cleopatra

From Zurich to St. Moritz you will have just one train change in Chur, and this usually is just across the platform and offering enough time to go back and forth. There is space left af the end of the train to store your larger pieces, the handluggage you can keep on the overhead near your seat. With airlines restrictions on luggage, I imagine you dont have more than two pieces each and this is easily done for the one change. As mentioned by Swandav, you dont have to change on the GE.

To Swisslover76

There are two Coop supermarkets but none at the train station. One is in the upper part, called St. Moritz Dorf, a smaller one, the larger one beiing in St. Moritz Bad, just along the lake from the train station (or take a bus to either of them). At the train station, there is just a kiosk with limited choice, mainly sandwiches and beverages, and an adjoning restaurant.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,862 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Station at St. Moritz

Unless you can get your luggage to the station luggage counter by 9am do not count at all on it getting to St Moritz the same day...and then you would be playing catch up with your bags the whole trip! what you could do is to check the bags to Zermatt and they will be waiting for you when you get there two days later. Just take carryons for the night in St Moritz.