We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

seinjean
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

Hello all,

I booked 2 tickets for GE through www.rhb.ch and they informed me that my tickets are confirmed. They allocated 2 seats for me, facing each other.

We preferred seating next to each other but if this is the norm there we don't mind going along with it. But just wondering, is it a norm for 2 travellers to be allocated seating facing each other?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

You are lucky to have those seats!

They put two travellers /if they can) facing each other, with a table between, on one side of the car. Then on the other side there are 4 seats - 2 and 2 also facing across a table. It is MUCH better if you are two to be in the "places isolées" that they have given you since if you are on the other side you will have to climb over other people to get in and out of your seats!! Well - maybe not climb over them, but have them move anyway! And since they wil be people you don't know this could be annoying.

seinjean
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

Dear Hambagahle,

Many thanks for your reply :)

So sorry I forgot to mention that I booked 2nd class tickets. I understand that for 2nd class tickets, there are 4 seats in a row, instead of 3 seats in a row for 1st class...

If there are 4 seats in a row probably me and my husband will not be isolated. My concern is like you mentioned, annoying people when we climb over seats or me falling asleep on other people's shoulders.. lol :D

I've already mentioned our seat preferences when we make our bookings but these seats were allocated to us. Hmm guess we will just go along with this.. thanks again for sharing Hambagahle :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,966 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

You don't say when you are traveling but it's possible the train will not be completely booked. If there aren't name cards in the slots over a seat, those seats are available as a rule.

seinjean
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

Thanks kileysmom for your advice :)

We are travelling on 20 Sept 2009 from St Moritz to Zermatt, hopefully the trains are not full. They allocated the 9.19am train to us (second train).

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,966 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

You may be fine. I know that weekend is the end of a wek of classical music concerts in Zermatt but I can't imagine many will ride the train to get to Zermatt for that one evening! It's certainly a quieter time for visitors than, say, summer. I'll be in Zermatt then so we both need good weather and no crowds! We'll keep our fingers crossed!

seinjean
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

Thanks kileysmom,

What a coincidence we will both be in Zermatt on that weekend! I'm hoping for good weather too, so that it will be a clear ride when I am up on the mountain.

Enjoy your holidays!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

You are right about Second class seats - two and two so no "places isolées". But being seated across from each other makes eating nicer and hopefully you won't have any neighbours!!

8. Re: Glacier Express - Seats Allocation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:29 am, February 03, 2010