We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Hotel

How far is Kempinski Grand Hotel des bains from Rail statio

What to do from 17:00 to 22:00 to get a feel of the city?

Thanks.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel

No you won't find any shops open on a Saturday evening in this part of the world! On your bus tranfer I should think a Hotel of such quality would come and collect you from the station, have you asked?

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel

Bus No. 3 connects railway station, city center (St. Moritz Dorf) and St. Moritz Bad. For the Kempinski jump off at the stop 'Signalbahn' which is just a few steps from your hotel. I agree that shops will be closed after 17h00, maybe with the exception of a few tourist shops. To get a feel of the area I would suggest to walk around the lake. Stop at the Hotel Waldhaus on the opposite side of the lake - their bar has the largest selection of Whiskies of whole Europe, if you are a Whisky lover, and a beautiful view across the lake to watch sunset (it is only 5min. walking from railway station if you prefer to take the bus). Don't expect too much of St. Moritz itself, it's not like a romantic mountain resort, but more like a small town in the alps with lots of traffic and some pretty ugly buildings. However the landscape is truly amazing and in my opinion one the most spectacular of the alps.

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Hotel Waldhaus
Hotel Waldhaus
293 Reviews
Sils im Engadin, Switzerland
Europe
Europe
World
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel

Oller; as you stated, what really surpised me in St. Moritz were the buildings... several ugly modern ones that spoil the view. In a way, St. Moritz does not have the charm of a Swiss mountain resort people 'imagine' before going there..

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel

St. Moritz is for sure not a cosy mountain village with chalet style buildings. There are quite a lot of rather big hotels and appartment buildings. Some look nicer (like the Kempinski!), but some are really not the kind I personnally like. It's also a matter of size, I guess there must be at least 30'000 beds for guests plus a few thousands permanent residents in St. Moritz, so you can imagine that not all of them can be lodged in charming small houses and they cause a certain amount of traffic!

Chalet style buildings aren't very popular in the whole Engadin valley as they are not traditional in the area (as they are for instance in Bernese Oberland). Traditional houses in Engadin are made of stones and are often nicely painted. Good examples of them can be found rather in the lower Engadin - such villages as Guarda and Sent are really picturesque. If you want to stay in upper Engadin in a lovely peacefull resort I could recommend Sils (further up the valley from St. Moritz, reachable by bus) or Bever (down the valley, first train stop in Engadin coming from the north - try hotel chesa salis, 4* in a historic villa).

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Bernese Oberland
Bernese Oberland
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel

Hi from St. Moritz. The Kempinsky is a 5Star resort and has a shuttle bus at the train station. You will not have a problem coming with the Galcier Express. You however could advise them when you do the reservation (I am not working for the hotel).

In the vicinity to the hotel there is a stop of the bus (the one you have the timetable already) the station is Signal (which is a pendicular to the mountain which is called Signal). The bus takes you 10 minutes to St. Moritz Dorf. There you find a small pedestrian zone with all the ritzy designer boutiques.

Shops usually close at 5 pm on Saturday and are closed on Sunday. During peak season some of them might be open later on Saturday. Depends on what you are looking for.

If you are interested in art, there is a Museum of Segantini, the painter of the mountains, and of Berry, both very interesting. (Japanese tend to come here just for the museums).

Pontresina and St. Moritz both are not the village themself that you come for, it is more the nature, the mountains, the good air up here (it's called the champagne climate). In both places, the train station is down in the valley, the hotel are higher up. If you really would like to see a typical Engadin village, you would have to go to Zuoz (18 km, train connection, but also here, the train station is lower than the village). Their you find the typical Engadin houses.

You find a lot of information on www.stmoritz.com, the website of the tourist board of St. Moritz, also in English.

Have a nice holiday

Hedy

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Pontresina
Pontresina
Manchester, UK
10 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotel

Take a hike from St Moritz along the lake and through the woods to Pontrosina. Lovely walk and there is a bus service back if you dont want to walk. The Bernina express train is a must if you like train joutnies and stunning scenery.

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Bernina Express
Bernina Express
1,791 Reviews
Swiss Alps, Switzerland