We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodations near St Moritz

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Upstate New Yorker
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
accommodations near St Moritz

Next August I will be traveling throughout Austria and Switzerland and Italy, and for one leg of the trip, I will be driving from around the Innsbruck area to Tremezzo at Lake Como. (Not to worry - I am certainly not ignoring Switzerland with this quick drive-through as I will be going from Como over to Lugano and then to Zermatt and then to Interlaken and to Lucerne and Zurich.) I plan to take two days to make this drive from Innsbruck to Lake Como, and am looking for recommendations for a good midpoint for a hotel. I was thinking that around St Moritz would be a good stopping point. With a car, I am not limited to train-accessible towns, and actually I somewhat prefer staying in small towns. The small, charming type of place would be a preference. Ideas?

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodations near St Moritz

Most towns in that area are small and charming. St. Moritz is full of high society people, but the others are not like that. The most picturesq village is Guarda, very small, quiet and great. I recently stayed in Zuoz which I liked very much. I also liked very much Sent, which is not yet discovered by many the tourists.

Have a look at www.scuol.ch (hotels and towns of the lower Engdin) www.engadin.ch (upper Engadin) www.bregaglia.ch (the towns afte the Maloja Pass)

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,226 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodations near St Moritz

I agree fully with Mube. An alternative to the Maloja pass and val Bregalia would be the Bernina pass an Val Poschiavo (see http://www.valposchiavo.ch/015stm_0400_en.htm) which we love a lot. It is worth the little detour.

Pore

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodations near St Moritz

You may book online on the official tourism organization website www.engadin.stmoritz.ch for the whole upper Engadin. I think staying in the upper Engadin would split you journey at a good point and you would still have some time to relax. Just be aware that August is summer high season and you may have difficulties booking a hotel for just one night so long ahead, as hotels will try to sell the rooms for a week at least during this period. They then give the rooms they have not booked on a short term basis for just one night. Look at the different villages on Engadin.St.Moritz, and choose one that appeals to you.

Another idea if you want a special experience is to stay on a mountain. It's magic to see the sun go down or the sunrise e.g. on Diavolezza or on Muottas Muragl. But be aware that if you choose to stay there, you have no options for other restaurants or night life, as the cablecars do not operate at night. But both places are renowned for their cuisine, and you could choose a meal plan with dinner included.

A nice village for an overnight would also be Sils, as it's situated on a lake and it's a nice place. Many writers have been there and Nietzsche's Zarathustra is strongly influenced by this magic place.

4. Re: accommodations near St Moritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 13, 2009