We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Express in September 08 or March 09?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Express in September 08 or March 09?

Hi there,

My wife and I have an option to either take the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt in mid September 08 or late March 09. The cost difference is about 400 Swiss Francs.

Would this cost difference be due to the climate and sunshine hours? Friends have told me that in September we could expect temperatures between 5C and –2C and 10 hours of daylight. In March, we could expect temperatures between 5C and –10C and 6 hours of daylight? Is this accurate. Would there be sufficient snow in September to make the trip scenic and live up to expectations? Is first class that much better on the Glacier Express and on Swiss trains in general?

Thanks in advance for all your responses!

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Express
Glacier Express
1,017 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Express in September 08 or March 09?

I am very confused. Unless the cost of a Swiss flexi-pass goes up hugely, there will be little difference in cost between travelling in September or March. There is a compulsory reservation of 30 Swiss Francs per person in September or 10 Swiss Francs per person in March, so that makes a 40 CHF difference (£20). The number of daylight hours will be the same in September and March. It is very scenic in September and also in winter. Which you would prefer depends on whether you would like an early autumn holiday or a winter holiday, with perhaps some skiing. I don't know whether it will live up to your expectations. I love that train ride - and obviously it's very popular - but some people aren't so keen. I would urge you to stay at least a few nights in both Zermatt and the St Moritz area to get the most out of your holiday. What I don't understand is why some people travel all the way to Zermatt or St Moritz, just to get on the GE the following day. Check the websites www.swisstravelsystem.ch, www.zermatt.ch and www.stmoritz.ch.

Mountain weather is somewhat unpredictable. It could be 25C in St Moritz or Zermatt in September, or there's a tiny chance of snow!

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Express in September 08 or March 09?

SwissFan, thanks for your post.

The price differential was mainly due to a special that was advertised by the Swiss Travel Centre UK last Jan to March here in the UK. I was comparing this to the special on the GE website at present.

The diff would be 200 Swiss Francs as flights are included in the Swiss Travel Centre deal. We would have to pay the additional 100 Swiss Francs for the upgrade to 1st class, which I understand is not that impressive.

Thanks again for your response.

3. Re: Glacier Express in September 08 or March 09?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 07, 2009