We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-skier family activities around St. Moritz in March

Extreme Northern...
Level Contributor
320 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Non-skier family activities around St. Moritz in March

Hello!

Myself, my husband and our 3.5 year old will travel from the U.S. to St. Moritz to spend a week with our Swiss and German relatives the week of March 16-23rd. We have been so fortunate as to have lodging and car details taken care of for us. However, most of our relatives will ski during this trip and we will not. We spent time in Sils (before our child joined the family) and enjoyed hiking in the Engadine. My question is what type of hiking is available in March? Is is mostly hiking on snow trails? Is there snow on the floor of the valley around the lakes in March? We are trying to pack as light as possible and wonder if we will need snow boots or if waterproof hiking boots will work? Any other suggestions for enjoyable family activities would be appreciated! We enjoy hiking/walks as well as cultural (music and art) activities. Thank you.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-skier family activities around St. Moritz in March

You can never be sure in March. We already had snowfree paths along the lakes and on sunny places this year, but snow may be back anytime until end of April and if walking with snow, you would need higher shoeware, e.g. winter walking boots. There are a lot of groomed hiking trials, this is still season and it will be busy this year with a very early Easter. If you have no use for walking boots back home, I would suggest you rent them here (only store in St. Moritz renting clothes and booths is Corviglia sport in the center of St. Moritz) or snowboard boots, which are comfortable as well and rental is with almost every sports shops, renting boards. If you can use your boots later, this is the time of the final sales and you sometimes find very good offers here for sport goods.

For all the options, also cultural, for the time you will be here, consult www.engadin.stmoritz.ch or www.stmoritz.ch.

2. Re: Non-skier family activities around St. Moritz in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 21, 2009