We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

livigno to st moritz

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
391 posts
62 reviews
29 helpful votes
livigno to st moritz

I will be on holiday in Livigno, but not skiing. I am thinking of either driving or taking the bus and or bus and train to st moritz for a day. Which mode of transport you recommend.

Also what would you recommend for me to do during the day. I will not be skiing or skating ! Thank you.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: livigno to st moritz

You can do the trip by taking the bus to Zernez and then changing for the train to St Moritz. I of course would reccomend you use public transport the bus connection with the train at Zernez station is seamless and a relaxing way to travel. Firstly I would not go as far as St Moritz but take the train to Punt Muragl the train from Zernez rn is a direct service to Pontresina calling at Punt Muragl.

At Punt Muragl a funicular climbs the mountain of Muottas Muragl and from here you view a fantastic panorama with the chain of lakes spreading from St Moritz to the Majola Pass in front of you.

After your visit you could then take the train to St Moritz if you require and perhaps wander around the lake you viewed from above. At Punt Muragl you would have noticed another railway line running almost parrelel to the one which you arrived on this is linked by a footpath to Punt Muragl Staz a stop on the direct Pontresina to St Moritz railway line. On returning to Zernez you will have to change trains additionally in Samaden. Check out www.rail.ch it has timings of the bus from livigno.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
391 posts
62 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: livigno to st moritz

thank you, thank you and thank you. Great post.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
454 reviews
369 helpful votes
3. Re: livigno to st moritz

mostlybytrain is correct. The bus to Zernez however is not very frequent, as the tourist office in Livigno or Silvestri Bus Service, as they offer the transfer. In winter time, the direct road to the Engadin valley (Fuorcola di Livigno and then the Bernina pass) is closed, due to danger of avalanches, so you have to take the tunnel route and the Il Fuorn pass route anyway, also if you go by car. Its a scenic journey, but you absolutely need winter tyres.

In St. Moritz, shopping is rather different from Livigno, but we go shopping in Livigno, as you pay no taxes there. If you want a nice excursion and a change from Livigno, have a walk over one of the frozen lakes, have a glass of champagne and a Bratwurst e.g. or take a horse drawn sledge/carriage to enjoy the winter air.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
391 posts
62 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: livigno to st moritz

Hedy, thanks. I would not be going for shopping as that is my least favourite pastime ! I would be going for a change of scenary and maybe a meal or two.

Would driving there be difficult for me ? I have no experience of driving in your winter conditions.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
454 reviews
369 helpful votes
5. Re: livigno to st moritz

If you can do it to Livigno, there should be no problem doing it in the opposite direction as well - just make sure your car is equipped for winter driving. This is the same way back as you drive into Livigno. I don't know where you are driving from originally. In Zernez, you take the main street towards St. Moritz. For a change of scenery, this is guaranteed, as Livigno is a rather strait valley with an artificial lake at it's end, whereas the lakes plateau of the upper Engadin makes a nice difference. You can drive up to Maloja, there are nice walks there too and you could visit Sils on the way or even the Fex valley, or you can visit Mouttas Muragl as Mostlybytrains suggested, there are so many options here for short or long walks to fill a whole months, not just a day.

The new Silvestri bus between Zernez and Livigno is mainly to attract skiers from the Engadin Valley to ski in Livigno, so the timetable will be in respect to this, but it's of course a good possibility if you don't want to drive. Of course you can see more by car, as you can drive wherever you want and are not bound to a timetable, but it's more convenient in summer, when the Forcola di Livigno road is open, so the drive is shorter. And with the car, you have to pay for the tunnel toll each way you drive, which might add to your journey expenses to the Engadin.

If you drive, make sure you fill up on gasolin in Livigno, as there it is taxfree and you would pay a lof more filling up in Switzerland.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
391 posts
62 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: livigno to st moritz

Thank you. We will be driving from Bergamo to Livigno. Which route would you recommend ? I did not realise that this route would take us through St Moritz.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
454 reviews
369 helpful votes
7. Re: livigno to st moritz

From Bergamo to Livigno in winter, your best itinerary is via St. Moritz and the Engadin valley. All other options would be much longer, and some roads are closed in winter or have no winter service.

From Bergamo you drive to Lecco, a nice small Italian town, but sometimes one big traffic jam, so be patient. Then you drive along the Lago di Como on a good road, but sometimes a lot of traffic, specially also at weekends. The route is not as panoramic as it used to be, as long parts now are in tunnels. You then arrive in Chiavenna, a nice frontier town, completely different from what you will se in Livigno. This is a good stop on the way with some nice and typical restaurants. From there you go direction St. Moritz through the Bregaglia valley, a steep valley with romantic small hamlets with typical stone houses (the road now does not go throught the villages for most parts anymore). This leads you up the Maloja mountain pass, which for the last part is rather steep winding up and gaining altitude before you reach Maloja and will be in the mountains and hopefully in the sun. You then drive along all the Upper Engadin, along the lakes on the plateau, a very scenic drive, before you reach St. Moritz (the last one of the lakes) and on down the valley to Zernez. There you take a collateral valley over the Il Fuorn pass, the road leading for parts through the only Swiss National Park (bears will already be in hibernation!) After the pass, you reach the privat tunnel passage to Livigno (toll is payed after the tunnel). You drive along the artificial lake and through road galleries to reach the very long streched village of Livigno.

Be prepared for snow shortly after Chiavenna or the Swiss border up to Livigno.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
391 posts
62 reviews
29 helpful votes
8. Re: livigno to st moritz

Thank you, again. sounds like a lovely drive.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
9. Re: livigno to st moritz

The Majola Pass is one of the most dramatic pass roads in Switzerland especially when driving away from St Moritz, you seem to fall off the mountain! Hedy, the road tunnel to Livigno comes before the Il Fuorn pass and is only a short way from Zernez.

What happened to the Bear on the Julier pass?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
454 reviews
369 helpful votes
10. Re: livigno to st moritz

Mostlybytrain: Bruno, the bear who was at Il Fuorn last year has gone to Bavaria and has been shot minutes after he has been given free for the hunters, after a very long and unsuccessful search by governement people apparently! Astonishing things happen!

There are now two bears here again, one I think is a sibling of Bruno, one a cousin. One is around Zernez and is described as a problem bear, the other one in the Albula valley and much more shy. Both are feeding up now and are supposed to go to hibernation locally there soon after the next big snowfall.. One is marked and thus under control, the other one has had sightings recently.