We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Moritz for Christmas

Salzburg
2 posts
Save Topic
St Moritz for Christmas

I would like to go to St Moritz for Christmas. I have never been, but preferably I would like a hotel in town but I also like to ski. What is the best way to get both. Are the mountains easily accessible from town or is it better to stay on a mountain and travel to town. Which is more affordable..

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Moritz for Christmas

>Which is more affordable

Affordable? St. Moritz? These two don't go together...

Stay in another village in the valley (Samedan, Celerina, Pontesina). They all have own ski lifts as an access to a common lift system (together with St. Moritz)

St. Moritz itself is ugly as sin, doubly so in a landscape as beautiful as the upper Engadine.

>Are the mountains easily accessible from town or is it better to stay on a mountain and travel to town.

The town is already at 1800 m above sea level. It doesn't get more "on the mountain"...

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadine
Engadine
227 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Salzburg
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St Moritz for Christmas

Is there some place specific in the Swiss Alps you would recommend for skiing. That would be pretty also to spend Christmas.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Moritz for Christmas

Hi, GSRara

don't be bothered by altamiro's post, the Engadin is beautiful and there are nice villages as e.g. Celerina. As for St. Moritz itself, there are newer buildings, as the metropole of the upper Engadin, it is more citylike than the small villages, but offers a lot of entertainment options, restaurants, bars etc, and a real outdoor designer row. You have a very good access to the sking area Corviglia/Marguns from either St. Moritz and Celerina, where the mountain railways start directly in the center and as well in the center there are bus connections to the other areas. Pontresina however is connected only by bus to all the areas. For an overview of all the sking areas see www.bergbahnenengadin.ch.

Also there are not only expensive options in the Engadin, the problem will be that Christmas may already be booked by now. This is peak season with the highest prizes of the year and most hotels and apartments rent only for 10 days during this time.

It really depends on how long you are planing to stay. If you consider staying ON the mountain, there are possibilities, but it limits your options to go to several areas during your stay. Consult the Bergbahnen website and if you need help, you can contact me by PM. Consider however that your inquiries with hotels might probably not been answered soon, as from today the season in the Engadin Valley is over and most hotels close or are already closed and staff is off for holidays (as I will soon be as well).

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Pontresina
Pontresina
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Moritz for Christmas

>don't be bothered by altamiro's post, the Engadin is beautiful and there are nice villages as e.g. Celerina.

I specifically stated that Pontresina, Celerina etc. and the Engadine landscape are beautiful and not as exceedingly expensive as St. Moritz.

I just spent 10 days in Zuoz and loved it. So no reason to believe I "slammed" anything except the built-up area of central St. Moritz. I still continue believing that Engadine would be even more beautiful without it.

Mentioned in this post
Pontresina
Pontresina
Engadine
Engadine
227 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
5. Re: St Moritz for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 12, 2009