We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Moritz to Lugano

Charlotte
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
St. Moritz to Lugano

We have Swill passes and will be coming into St. Moritz via the Glacier Express on Sept. 29. With one more day left on our pass, we planned to then go to Lugano and the best option online looked to be Bus 203 which evidently requires reservations. The phone contact for Rail Europe said reservations could not be made until we were there, but he didn't really seem to know much about it, other than our Swiss pass should apply. On the sbb.ch site, the bus indicates a departure of 12:20 and anarrival of 16:10 and on the Raileurope site it has the same bus 203 ad having a departure of 12:20 and arrival of 2:10?? Is anyone familar with this route or do you have suggestions? Thanks, Patty

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Glacier Express
Glacier Express
1,017 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Sept
Sept
289 Reviews
Toulouse, France
Lugano
Lugano
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland
Europe
Europe
World
Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

This bus route is known as the Palm Express. If you visit the following site you should find all the information you require.

postauto.ch/en/index_pag/pag-nat-freizeit/pa…

Charlotte
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

Thank you Swissaholic! I had not found that web site. I am traveling right now and can't download the schedule on this #*@!computer, but should be able to do that Tuesday. And I'm thinking that the area from St Moritz to Lugano looks so interesting, I might rather rent a car and meander....

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Lugano
Lugano
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

I would prefer the bus over the rental car. If you are not used to drive in the mountains, you would not be able to enjoy the scenery, but have to concentrate on the narrow and winding road instead. And if you have the Swiss pass, you travel for free, while the rental car will charge you a haevy drop off charge, when you do not bring it back to the same place.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

Hi, I agree with Hedy's comments. We are planning to take the Post Bus in the opposite direction and are looking forward to it, but we had a hard time deciding between it and the Bernina Express route via Tirano. Perhaps you can come back to Switzerland another time and spend some time in the area! btw, there is another thread on this in the Lugano forum late August. The Post Bus have informed me that the stop in Chiavenna is about 20-30 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Bernina Express
Bernina Express
1,773 Reviews
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Tirano
Tirano
Province of Sondrio, Italy
Lugano
Lugano
Charlotte
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

Thank you Hedy and Swissfan. This sounds like good advice -- and I will check out that Lugano thread. Do you have any idea how easy it is to get on the Postbus with a swiss pass? I am unable to make a reservation on the Internet, but it says reservations are requried. Maybe that is something I can arrange when I get there ON WEDNESDAY! YIPEEE!!! Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lugano
Lugano
Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

You can make a reservation br emailing graubuenden@postauto.ch there is a 12SFR supplement payable to the driver with the Swiss Pass. Sit on the right hand side.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

Sorry sit on the left hand side ie the lake side. (I had my map up side down!!)

canada
Level Contributor
8,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

The route on the Italian side goes through a lot of built-up area, with narrow streets and road work detours, not ideal for the first time visiting driver. It is much better to sit higher on a bus. Reserve your seats with any sbb agent.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

Thanks to all -- I am ready to go!

10. Re: St. Moritz to Lugano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 10, 2009