We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

NewJersey
Level Contributor
254 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts!! We will only have one day to spend in either St Mortiz, SIls, or Soglio any suggestions for a stop for teenage boys,,,summer sledding, hiking, gondolas, you name it,,we are open to any ideas..?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

St. Moritz and Sils are close one to the other, you could stay in either of this villages and have the same options. Soglio is in the Bregaglia valley, an old farming village on a sunny terrace high above the valley, very nice and cozy, but not really much to do there. There are some nice hikes around however, and going down to the valley, you are close to the Italian border.

In the Engadin valley, activities abound (there is however NO summer sledding). For all the activities proposed at the time of your visit, go to www.engadin-stmoritz.ch , the homepage of the new tourism organisatioin (at the moment only in German) or www.stmoritz.ch, partly also in English, and find unter "activities" your preferences.

Most hotels in the St. Moritz area offer public transports included with two nights stay, so you can go up on as many mountains as you like.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
254 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

Hedy, Although I was unable to read those websites, the pictures are unbelievable!! Hard to believe there is someplace on earth that really looks like this!!! Absolutely beautiful. If anyone has a sugested activity or stop please let me know,,but looking at thee pictures I'd say we will enjoy just looking at these views!! :)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

Hi Donna, here is the activity-link in English stmoritz.ch/engadinst-moritz-hiking-paradise…

As to other posters, I always recommend to go up to Diavolezza, to experience the real mountain feeling, being inbetween all the peaks and glaciers (www.diavolezza.ch). Their website does not show enough of the view you have, you have to see it yourself. There are some hiking trails, one a little more difficult (good shoes) to the Munt Pers, 1 1/2 hours up - it's the hike I usually reserve for my birthday! After coming back to Diavolezza, relax and enjoy with a good meal or even with an openair hot tube (make reservation ahead, as they have to put the logfire on to heat the water, as it gets cold). To go up to Diavolezza, you could go by train from St. Moritz as part of the Bernina Express, leave at the valley station and get up with the Gondola. The train ride is very scenic as well. If you want, with the complimentary ticket included with your 2-nights-accomodation, you could go on until Alp Grüm, along another glacier, and back by train (or make a sidestep over Sassal masone, a 1 1/2 hours easy walk to a scenic mountain hut (restaurant). You see, there is plenty to do for a day here. If you have intention to do this itinerary, make sure you have an "all inclusive"-transportation with your hotel - some have only the mountain cable car and not the trains and buses.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
254 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

Hedy, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! Looking over the website you sent me I found the "Heidi hike" past the little hut!! :) . This trip is also for my birthday !! ! What a terrific way to spend the day :)!!!

OK Now one last question..:) any chance you know a FONDUE or raclette restaurant nearby this hike???I know it is SUMMER...but that would be the icing on the cake for me :)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

Hi Dona, sorry for the delayed answer. I have been hiking the last two days with perfect weather and views.

There is a place specialized on Fondues in St. Moritz, Hotel Engiadina, just in the center on the schoolhouse square, thus where you descend from the Heidi trail. I have to ask them if they offer this in summer as well, but I believe so, They are not open today, so give me some time to check with them.

The other idea would be in Salastrains, at the beginning of the Heidi trail. The Hotel Salastrains has Fondues on demand, you just would have to call ahead and tell them (41 (0)81 833 38 67). They have a lovely protected terrace, so with good weather for lunch you could have your fondue outdoor.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
254 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

Hi Hedy!! I am jealous you were out hiking!! :) Three more weeks until we leave :)..I have to admit I am TERRIBLE with directions :(..Are the Hotel Salastrains hotel and the Diavolezza lifts hard to find? Driving from garmisch on Road #27 is there a particular exit I need to take?? Or do we just get off at the St Mortiz exit and ask in town? Thanks again!!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

For Diavolezza, take the direction to Pontresina and Bernina, go up to Bernina Diavolezza and take the Gondola there, this is an intersection shortly before you arrive in St. Moritz.

For Salastrains, you can either walk up or take a cable car in the center of the village (Schulhausplatz = schoolhouse square).

Road 27 is the only road through the valley, going through most of the villages or nearby, you can't miss it.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

Hi Donna, another suggestions to entertain your teenage boys. With the warm weather now, it might be nice to have an ourdoor BBQ lunch in the woods or along one of the mountain lakes - some even with possibilities to swim. I know that children, mainly from cities, like this. There are BBQ places sometimes not far from a car parking possibility, most of them with wood already provided and tables. You just go to a grocery store or butcher shop an buy your saussages or whatever you like and bread and beverage and go out and make your fire in one of the pits. It's so relaxing to stay there in the nature and relax. Now during high season sometimes you have to share a fire with someone and this is always fun and new contacs.

9. Re: Summer stop or activity for teenage boys?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 07, 2009