We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 Days Switzerland & Milan

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 Days Switzerland & Milan

Hi all,

I'm having a huge headache planning for our trip in mid June. Yes. It's pretty last minute planning so I'm in dire need for help.

We are a family of 3. Travelling with our teenage daughter. We love scenic sights, rustic villages and majestic architecture with some shopping. Hiking is out for us as 2 out of the 3 of us have knee problems.

We fly in and out Zurich and this is my plan so far:

Day 1 - Day 3: Lucerne.

Day 4 - 6: Can't decide where to go. Montreux, Berne, Geneva, Murren, Grindelwald?

Day 7 - Day 9: St Moritz. But I just read that this is an expensive place. Intended to take Bernina Express from there.

Day 10 - 12: Milan with day trip to Venice. All to fulfil the young girl's dream to go Italy.

Day 13 - 15: Zurich.

Day 16: Morning flight home.

Biggest headache is Day 4 - Day 9. I can't really decide where to go and how do I connect Bernina Express on Day 10.

Help... please..!

1 reply
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
454 reviews
369 helpful votes
1. Re: 16 Days Switzerland & Milan

You posted this in the St. Moritz forum - would have been better in the general Switzerland forum as this is not St. Moritz specific and you would probably have got more attention on the other forum.

Just to help you with the part I know, thus Engadin St. Moritz.

This being mid-June, this is still shoulder season and your perception that St. Moritz is expensive is just party correct, you can find inexpensive options even here. And it has not to be St. Moritz only, there are several smaller villages in the area. However with just that little time, I would suggest you do not venture too far from St. Moritz, this being the public transport hub, so that you do not loose a lot of your little time just for commuting.

With two or more nights, look at a hotel offering you the complimentary pass for mountain cablecars or event one with the whole local public transport included. You find those here https:/… and even inexpensive accomodations offer this. Also with not already everything open for summer season, you will find enough to do and enough mountain experiences to make this special well worth it.

As you say you want rustic villages, you could visit several here in the area and combine this with a mountain excursion and a lot of scenic mountain scenery. I would suggest you concentrate one day on the Bernina area, see https://www.bernina-glaciers.ch/en/ for more details. You could eventually combine Diavolezza if you have the pass with a small hike - really even doable with knee problems - into the scenic Morteratsch valley and - depending when in June this will be - have lunch at the alpine cheese making place near the Morteratsch train station.

Also a visit to Muottas Muragl for the panoramic views would be great - this cablecar is running late, so you could get up for a sunset dinner (not inexpensive thought) but sunset this time of year is late. You could do a short stroll there on an even path just to take in the feeling and the views.

Another day you could see the upper part of the valley. You could travel along the alpine lakes plateau by bus to Maloja, and - still depending on the dates and if it is already availabe - travel back with the boat to Sils, a marvellous experience. Then from Sils, you could also go to Val Fex with a horsedrawn carriage. This is a very remote and romantic valley with no motorized traffic except people living there.

You see you would have a lot of option, just check the site of the special and you will find inexpensive options and you would be right in the starting place for your Bernina Express departure the next day.

Reply to: 16 Days Switzerland & Milan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted