We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in St Moritz

6 posts
What to do in St Moritz

Hi,

I am planning to go to St Moritz through the Bernina express from Milano. I have learned that the scenic view of the journey itself is nice. There are many travel agencies that operate for a day trip (round trip from Milano). They additionally show the Tirano city. I shall be traveling on June 10-13. We are four- husband, wife, and two kids, 12 and 13 years (one in a wheel chair)

My question is

1. Should I go with those operators for the day trip as they will hardly show anything in St Mortiz

2. Can we take the train on our own and stay one day at St Moritz. What can we see in that case there?

3. If we go by self, we are missing Tirano. Is that okay?

4. What would be the best way for this tour in terms of budget - as traveling in express both ways and spending one day or two in St Moritz will be expensive in comparison to the operated tour.

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
454 reviews
370 helpful votes
1. Re: What to do in St Moritz

You don't need an operator to do this trip and you will not miss anything not spending time in Tirano. It's not that scenic and just about anybody just changes trains there, what can easily be done.

The journey over the Bernina pass is very scenic, be it on the designated "Bernina Express" (BEX) or just any train on the same tracks, which are available with frequent departures, so you are not rushed. Check all your timetables on www.sbb.ch. The reservation fee is on the BEX only, not on the regular trains.

You could also do this as a round trip, returning by bus through the romantic remote Bregaglia valley and from Chiavenna back to Milan.

If you want to stay in the Upper Engadin, which is much more scenic than Tirano, you could find inexpensive options as well, some even would offer you a complimentary pass for mountain cablecars, some even the local public transport, with two or more nights stay. This way, you could explore the area. All public transport is handicapped-friendly, just calculate probably a little more time. Parts of the cablecars however are not jet open for the summer season the time you will be here, but still there is enough to do to occupy you for some days and it is much calmer and easier than during high season and usually June is a beautiful month with the mountain flora very beautiful (depending on the year and how high you go - we had a very strong and very long winter, it's still snowing sometimes now). There are some hikes doable with wheelchairs, e.g. Heidi's Flower trail https:/…

Also look at different family orientated activities here: https:/…

6 posts
2. Re: What to do in St Moritz

So nice of you. Thanks for your reply

Please suggest

1. We plan to reach St Moritz early, may be before 1 pm, so that we can walk around to see the city. Do I need to take a bus for sight seeing of the city?

2. It would be better for me to return next morning to Milan. I shall return via bus through a route as advised by you (via Chiavenna). Hope I am not missing a lot there. Please suggest what should I do

3. How can I book the bus that will take us to Chiavenna.

4. How to book train from Chiavenna to Milan.

5. Is there any pass that I can buy (train and bus, combined or single)

6. How long is the usual time if we travel through Chiavenna without much hurry.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
454 reviews
370 helpful votes
3. Re: What to do in St Moritz

1) It is not the "city" you want to see in St. Moritz, it's the wonderful surroundings, the mountain and lake scenery, the nature all around you. You can do a hike around the lake for example, starting right at the train station, just across the road there. This is a wheelchair hike as well and you have really nice sights. On a leisurely pace it will take you something more than an hour probably and you arrive right back to the station where you could take the train or bus for your onward journey. If you want to have lunch, there is a restaurant (open year round) along the lake promenade and a cafe at the train station.

2) please clarify, I don't understand what you want to know.

3) on the site www.sbb.ch I told you to look up all your timetables and connections.

4) online or in Italy or at the train station in St. Moritz

5) you have to make the math. There is a saver day pass, going into sale 60 days before travel. If you travel in one journey, it might work. Otherwise a saver ticket, same conditions, the earlier you book, the better is the price, but with this one, you have to get the exact train you booked. Check this out and compare to point to point tickets. Take a family card and your kids travel for free. Just make sure to check prices carefully, as on the www.sbb.ch site the default is on a "half fare card" which you won't have with just this one journey in Switzerland.

6) again, check www.sbb.ch to find out all the travel times. If you have time, spend an hour in Chiavenna. It's a nice small Italian town, completely different from a large city as Milano.

Edited: 10:45 am, May 07, 2019
6 posts
4. Re: What to do in St Moritz

Dear Engadiner

Thanks a lot for your informative reply

In the point 2, I actually wanted to let you know that as per my schedule, I have to return the very next day. So, I have only half a day for St Moritz.

Considering my family pattern (2 adults, 2 kids including one in a wheelchair), I need your suggestion what and how much can we do comfortably. Maybe we never get a chance to come back here. So, the basic minimum should be covered.

Thanks

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
454 reviews
370 helpful votes
5. Re: What to do in St Moritz

See the tips I already mentioned and check the website with the family friendly activities and the list with the pushchair-friendly hikes. Depending where your hotel is, if in St. Moritz Bad, the lower part, you could eventually walk along the lake to your hotel, have lunch at the restaurant there on your way, then after check-in continue to the Signal mountain cablecar, which is operating at this time, to get up to Signal. From there, you can walk either way down to St. Moritz by way of Chantarella or the Heidi Flowertrail or taking a left when you get off the station and walk a longer hike but with a wonderful view over the lakes. Or as mentioned you could just walk around the lake of St. Moritz and perhaps have dinner at Lake Staz (not cheap, but very idyllic). If you want something special, you could also go up to Muottas Muragl for a sunset dinner. Muottas Muragl is open from June 8, 2019, and is one of the best panoramic views. This is the only cablecar running late in the evening, but sunsets in June are late. But anyway, this would be spectacular. You would reach the valley station by bus from St. Moritz (or you could even stay up there at the hotel for the night).

If you want a really stunning high mountain experience, take a local train instead of the BEX and get off on your at Bernina Diavolezza. Get up to the mountain - it's a short uphill from the train station (stop on demand) to the cablecar station and the cablecar is operating in June. Then stay up there for the night. It's a wonderful experience as it is very calm and peaceful in the evening and you are almost just alone in the middle of snowfields, rocks and peaks. Get assistance from the staff there to get to the hotel with the wheelchair, they will know the way around so you don't need to take the stairs. The hotels offers half board which is really great. The next morning after breakfast you go down again and stop the next train to continue to St. Moritz. Skip one connection for a short stroll along the lake before you continue by Bus to Chiavenna or do the whole lake hike and have lunch at the restaurant before continuing. As mentioned, check all your connections on www.sbb.ch - for example for Diavolezza enter Tirano (or Milano) as your starting point and Diavolezza as your destination and you get the real-time to travel all the way up to the mountain.

Edited: 3:49 am, May 08, 2019
6 posts
6. Re: What to do in St Moritz

You are so helpful.

In some of your post to other, you suggested to plan less and check weather report before going to Diavolezza.

Please suggest the site foe that. Is it accuweather?

I shall then not book any hotel and try to go Cablecar at Diavolezza and if found good , may stay there at night too.

In case I travel early, I shall take next train to go St Moritz or if weather is not suitable, I shall go to St Moritz abd follow your first plan.

As per your advice, I shall travel with normal train from Tirano , not BEX.

Please suggest if I should book my train ticket now or when I reach Tirano station.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
454 reviews
370 helpful votes
7. Re: What to do in St Moritz

You find the local weather report on https://www.engadin.ch/en/weather-engadin/ and for more information about the Bernina area see also https://www.bernina-glaciers.ch/en/

Travelling so early, still shoulder season, limits your options as not everything will be open, however Diavolezza and Muottas Muragl will be open, therefore my suggestion. And with just one night, you will not get the mountain cablecars pass anyway, so accommodation on either Muottas Muragl or Diavolezza, which already includes the cablecar ride, would be an optimal option for you. On Diavolezza you could eventually book a 4-bed room for all of you together (shared facilities), which with slightly over CHF 100.00 is a real good price as it includes dinner and breakfast and the cablecar transfers, see https:/… - you could even upgrade dinner to a cheese fondue if you want. This would be without rush even with a wheelchair.

And besides that, Diavolezza now offers a lot more to guarantee a memorable experience, e.g. the VR experience and the Swarovski Optics available on place.

As when and where you book your train ticket depends on your plans. As already mentioned, check saver tickets or saver pass (depending on the trip you decide to do) on www.sbb.ch - they go on sale 60 days prior to travel date and get more expensive by the day (mind that the default is for half fare card - see my comment above) and compare to point to point prices and the options of a family card. If you decide for Diavolezza as a side-excursion only without a nights stay which would include the cablecar, a railaway-ticket would give you a 20 % on the cablecar tickets, but must be bought in advance, see https:/…

There will be no discount when you buy in Tirano and if you plan to take the next departing train, you will probably not have a lot of time in view that you are traveling with a wheelchair.

6 posts
8. Re: What to do in St Moritz

Dear Engadiner

Nothing more to say to you, you are very helpful.

I hope I have got reply for most of my query.

Thank you so much

Nilendu

Edited: 3:43 am, May 10, 2019
Reply to: What to do in St Moritz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted