We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip to Engadine from Bellano

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Round trip to Engadine from Bellano

My family of 5 are staying in Bellano for a few days at end of April, and we'd love to do a day trip on Bernini Express (regional train) on Saturday 27th April, and hopefully see some snow (first time for my teenagers!) All going well, I am aiming to take train from Bellano (7.29am) - Tirano. Regional train from Tirano (9.40am) - St Moritz but stop off at Diavolezza (12.11pm) to get a cable car at the top for lunch pending weather. Then a short stop in lake moritz before jumping on Postalbus (3.15 or 4.15pm) to Chiavenna where I'll get the train back to Bellano. Big day but kids are super keen and all tripadvisor stories sound great! SO, my question is can I buy all these tickets online or am I best to purchase each leg separately? I see Happyrail have a supersaver ticket from Tirano - St Moritz for 58 euro (total cost) at the moment. Is there a best/recommended way to get tickets for family of 5 to cover whole journey? Thanks in advance.. plus any other suggestions most welcome.

3 replies to this topic
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
5,239 posts
454 reviews
370 helpful votes
1. Re: Round trip to Engadine from Bellano

First, the Bernina Express - short BEX - (nor Bernini) and the regional trains are not the same. The BEX needs a seat reservation in addition to the ticket. This is a tourist train. The local train does not need a reservation, so it gives you more freedowm to do things as they come. There are frequent departures and it has more stops on the way.

Your plan sounds good, but it will be a long journey.

You will see snow over the Bernina Pass most certainly and of course on Diavolezza end of April.

Being you I would not spend so much time in Tirano, it's really not much to see there. Rather take the next local train direction St. Moritz, so to have more time for our side-excursion to Diavolezza.

I can't give you detailed answers re buying your tickets, but as far as I know those are best bought from the service provider to avoid third-party fees. Italian trains are inexpensive and you could probably buy those before you leave. I would suggest to ask this question on the Italian Forums. As for your Swiss part, depending on how old your kids are, if between I think 5 and 16 years, they would travel free with you if you buy a family card. You would have to calculate the whole itinerary using www.sbb.ch, then see if it would make sense to buy a "saver day pass" for the day. This would allow you to hop on and off every train and bus for the whole day. You then would just have to buy Diavolezza separately, as this is a private company. Saver day passes go into sale 60 days ahead of travel date and prices go up the closer to date you go. Mind that on www.sbb.ch the default is for half fare card which you will not have, so change it to "no pass" before searching.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
5,239 posts
454 reviews
370 helpful votes
2. Re: Round trip to Engadine from Bellano

I just did a dummy search with your date on www.sbb.ch. A round trip ticket from Tirano to St. Moritz and on to Chiavenna is CHF 58 (so ca. 20 % less than the price you quoted in EUR) in second class with no reduction (half fare card), while a saver day pass on this would be CHF 70.00 in second class. There are savers on Tuesday Aprill 30, only for CHF 52.00 this week (midweek is cheaper usually with the savers).

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Round trip to Engadine from Bellano

Thanks so much Engadiner for your detailed reply. We'll definitely take the local train, and do side trip up to Diavolezza. Thanks for looking at the fares for me! Unfortunately we cannot go midweek as we're flying back to Australia then. We're looking forward to our trip - and you've helped me understand it better - much appreciated!

Reply to: Round trip to Engadine from Bellano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted