We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day intenerary for St Moritz in early July

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
5 day intenerary for St Moritz in early July

Hi, my wife and I are arriving in Switzerland in late June for our honeymoon which includes a 5 day stay in St Moritz (arriving 29th June). We have the following rough itenerary and we'd appreciate any tips or advice:

Day 1 - Arrive late afternoon. Settle into hotel (Kempinski), wander into town.

Day 2 - Bernina Express to Tirano

Day 3 - Canyoning

Day 4 - White water rafting

Day 5 - Muottas Muragl restaurant for dinner, nothing planned for morning or afternoon.

Any tips would be great - in particular, is there anything we've missed out that we really shouldn't miss?

Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day intenerary for St Moritz in early July

Hi Johnlfg,

Congratulations on your wedding & honeymoon! I'm happy to see that you're getting to some nice spots in Switzerland.

I don't have a lot to offer -- just that on Day 2, I don't think you have to go all the way to Tirano. I should add that I've never been to Tirano, so I really have no personal experience with it, but I have heard foks whose values I trust say that Tirano and the route there are not all great.

But DO stop in Poschiavo -- a lovely tiny Italianate village in a lush setting. I think you'd get more bang for your hours in Poschiavo than in Tirano.

You may also want to spend a day or half a day on an excursion to the village of Guarda, a lovely historical village perched with an incredible view.

Also, think about renting bicycles at the train station and cycle around the lakes and on to Silvaplana -- the highlight of my stay in the Engadin.

Good luck!

s

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day intenerary for St Moritz in early July

Hi John, congratulations to your wedding.

I agree as always with Swandav, here some more suggestions.

Day 1: wander into town. The Kempinski hotel is a very nice new luxury hotel in St. Moritz Bad. To go to St. Moritz Dorf where all the designer boutiques and shops and most of the restaurants are, you walk nearly half an hour uphill. The hotel has a courtesy car and you would arrive in St. Moritz Dorf perhaps at opening hours of the shops (most of them until 18.30 h). Then I would suggest you go down along the Palace Hotel and take the descent trough the parking to the lake. The new parking garage is really a must see, the longest escalator leads you through a poster gallery to a platform on the lake! From there it's a nice walk along the lake to your hotel.

Day 2: Tirano is a nice little typically Northern Italian Town, but a little bit sleepy, not much to do there. As Swandav said, Poschiavo would be a better tipp. Try the famous Pizzoccheri there (buckwheat pasta with vegetables and cheese, a local rustic delicacy). The itinerary of the Bernina Express is the same as the normal train itinerary to Poschiavo. On a sunny day, the trains have some panoramic openair carriages to enjoy the beautiful surroundings. I would suggest you leave the train either on your way to or back, at Diavolezza funicular station and go up to Diavolezza to enjoy the beautiful mountain view up there (www.diavolezza.ch). With your hotel stay of two consecutive nights or more you get a free pass for public transport in the valley, which includes the Diavolezza as well (at the Kempinski it also includes the train from St. Moritz to Alp Grüm, which is halfway of the Glacier Express.

In case you still want more action and mountain sight, on June 30, there is a cottage dinner with sunset apero on Alp Languard (can be reached by chairlift from Pontresina).

Day 3/4: Swandav suggests a visit to Guarda: you could combine this with Canyoning or White water rafting, as those sports are done down in the lower part of the Valley, where Guarda is. If you want go as far as Scoul, there is a nice spa there with roman and irish bath (the train is in your pass from St. Moritz until Cinuos-chel - again half way down)

Day 5: On Muottas Muragl (www.muottasmuragl.ch), there are some hicking paths well worth doing it with beautiful views. You could easily do one of them before dinner, as the days are long in July. If you have good hicking boots, I would recommend the Segantini Hütte (www.segantinihuette.ch) on 2'731 m.a.s.l.. This is where the famous painter Giovanni Segantini spent his last days and it is one of the most breathtaking views from up there. But to get there, it sometimes is rather steep, so do it only with good shoes. If you like art, there is a museum of the oevre of Segantini in St. Moritz, well worth visiting. A second museum is dedicated to another artist of this times,Peter Berry operated by the Berry family.

As with the Bernina Express and Muottas Muragl you are doing most things in the direction of Pontresina, why not move into the other direction on your final (5th) day? Take the bus (included in your pass) to Sils and walk into the Fex valley for lunch (www.hotelfex.ch) or take a horsedrawn carriage to take you there (your hotel will help you with the reservation).

I hope you will enjoy your honeymoon in our beautiful valley.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day intenerary for St Moritz in early July

Thanks for the tips - they'll come in very handy. I think we'll definitely give Tirano a miss in favour of Poschiavo and we'll probably stop at Diavolezza as well as it sounds nice. I suppose a lot depends on the weather as well, but hopefully that won't be a problem! Thanks again.

4. Re: 5 day intenerary for St Moritz in early July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 02, 2009