We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Free Day in St. Moritz

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
One Free Day in St. Moritz

I have one free day in St. Moritz at the beginning of September. I am looking for suggestions on what to do to make the most of my time. I love photography so I'm looking for some great photo opportunities.

3 replies to this topic
canada
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Free Day in St. Moritz

Take buses to Soglio and stop by villages en route too. Make sure you don't miss the last bus back.

B W
Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
41 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Free Day in St. Moritz

One of the most breathtaking views for me is always the view along the lakes from Muottas Muragl, weather permitting of course. The link is a taster

https://www.tripadvisor.ch/LocationPhotoDire…

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Free Day in St. Moritz

With just one day, I would not go to the Bregaglia valley (Soglio), enjoy the wonderfully scenic surroundings here instead. There is so much to do and see! Are you staying for two nights in a hotel offering you the complimentary pass? And what is the rest of your travel plans?

I would suggest you visit the Bernina area for the day, see here https://www.bernina-glaciers.ch/en/ to get an idea. If your hotels offers the pass covering local public transport, this would all be covered as far as Alp Grüm. So you could eventually do part of the Bernina line on a regular train (not the Bernina Express). If they are added to your train, sit in an open carriage, so you have unlimited views - just dress well in layers, as it might get cold over the pass even on a sunny day. https:/…open-scenic-carriages

If you want to do the whole Bernina line to Poschiavo - a nice village with a lot of photo options - or all the way to Tirano instead of turning back from Alp Grüm, you would have to buy a return ticket Alp Grüm to where you want to go.

On the way you could visit Diavolezza with the cablecar, for a high-mountain experience with glaciers, rocks and snowfields and hopefully a lot of (strong) sun at this altitude, so don't forget to bring sunblock. You could even do some hiking up there. Another stop would be Morteratsch with a very scenic easy hike towards the glacier. Both Bernina-Diavolezza and Morteratsch are "stop on demand" on the Bernina line.

Then to finish off you day, you could get up for a sunset-dinner on Muottas Muragl, one of the most spectacular photo options ever on a good weather day, with a view over the Upper Engadin lake plateau and the mountains. This is the only cablecar running late and a real experience per se.

Reply to: One Free Day in St. Moritz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted