We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

Hi,

I’m taking glacier express train from Zermatt and reaching Saint Moritz about 4pm (End Dec), how do I continue my way to Milano Centrale Railway Station on the same day? Thanks for your advise.

12 replies to this topic
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

You can take a train or a bus -

Train St Moritz to Tirano and connect there to Milano Centrale

Bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna and connect there by train to Milano Centrale.

Both will take about 5 hours and in both cases you will be travelling in the dark so no views. Which is a shame. If you could spend a night in St Moritz you could travel on in the morning via the bernina line to Tirano which is very very scenic indeed.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

All kinds of "is there a train" questions have easy answers here: www.sbb.ch.

Since the timetable for late december isn't up yet just use a date in the first week of september.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

What a shame to travel all this long way and not enjoy the very scenic area! With the short days in December, you will travel through the night and see nothing, so it does not make a lot of sense to do this detour really. I suggest you go to Milano directly and plan to visit the Engadin during your next holidays and spend some time here.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

Very sensible advice from Engadiner. Sightseeing in the dark is unsatisfactory!

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

With winter Glacier Express timetable you will not arrive in St Moritz until 17:16.

glacierexpress.ch/en/…

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

You can still make a connection by bus or train but it will be the last one of the day. It is such a shame to miss seeing the Engadin and the scenery on the Bernina line...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

Hi - you have great info posts - thank you so much. We are doing the Golden Pass - Zurich to Montreux - done it before changing trains - was wonderful - we put our luggage on in Zurich and it was waiting for us when we got there at 4.30 pm. Got off for lunch in Interlaken Ost and walked to Interlaken West - hubby did not want to do this, but now tells everyone to do it. We went via Zweisimmen>Gstaad and took a special train to Monteux. Is it necessary to pay for the panoramic views - didn't get the best seat window wise, but pot luck I guess? This time we are going through to Geneva for the night. Back the next day to Zurich via Gstaad>Zweisimmen then Spiez to Bern. Spend 3.5 hours there to go back to Zurich. Is there a better side to sit on the these trains please?

Next day I want to book our luggage through to St Moritz and take the IC train to Chur. Walk around for 1.5 hours then get the train to St Moritz. Do I need to get a special train for these trips? I know people say to sit on the RHS of the train on these journeys. Stay the night in St Moritz. I believe if I want to get off in Chur I need to book regional type trains?

Do I need to book these trains in advance - apart from special scenic trains - or can I just purchase them when I get to Zurich or on the day? I am finding that part a little hard. Not sure if we need to buy a Travel Card for the day or a Swiss Pass?

Next day train to Vareena. Two nights there and leave as early as possible to Milano - go see the church then by lunch time train to Lugano for as long as we can. Back to Milano then off to Nice the next day.

We are in our late 60's and from Australia - we did 105 days then 9.5 weeks another time, so are use to popping into places for an hour or three and continuing... if you find this strange.

Does this make sense or do you have any better suggestions please? We will have some reasonable luggage as away this time for 9 weeks...

We love your country and the way you can book luggage through is marvellous.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the time you take to do this.

Carolyn

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

In Switzerland you do not “book trains”. You buy a transportation ticket. For example a ticket from Zurich to st. Moritz is valid on every train on the route, and you can make as many stopovers as you like, as long as you stay on the route and finish your trip before 5AM the next day.

Now for all the travelling you have planned a Pass may well turn out cheaper than buying tickets. Use www.sbb.ch to price your tickets (be aware that the site gives “from” prices by default, assuming you have a half fare card, so you usually need to double these) and compare with the cost of a Pass.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

As for the seats - seats are not reserved on the Goldenpass line UNLESS you want the VIP seats in 1st class or if you are travelling on a weekend in ski season. VIP seats are on two trains daily leaving Montreux for zweisimmen - 0944 and 1544. See www.goldenpassline for this.

IMO there is no "best" side to sit on when on the Goldenpass. On the Glacier Express or any train from Chur to St Moritz you get a better view of the Landwasser viaduct if you are on the right side of the train facing the engine. That said - the view is fleeting at best.

If you have been on the Goldenpass line before why not go straight to Bern so you can spend more time there? That would mean Geneva/Bern in a direct train. You could stop off for a couple of hours in Lausanne en route. But if you just want to see the scenery from the GP train again - the route you list is fine. I would suggest stopping off in Thun as well if you can. The town is lovely and the castle is amazing.

You can't buy a Swiss Travel Pass for only one day. With the HFC you CAN buy a Day Travelpass. If you start the journey after 0900 Mon-Fri you can get this in 2nd class for 58frs. That is a money saver on a long day on the trains.

Milan - it is a real shame only to spend a day in Milan. There is SO much to see there. And there are many churches, not just one.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
16 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan

Hello.

We would be traveling first to Varenna. Then traveling to St. Moritz in early October. What is best way to travel from Varenna to St. Moritz? We would stay overnight n St. Moritz. Does the Bernina Express offer service in October-winter schedule. We are considering the Bernina Express to St. Moritz. Should we travel all the way to Chur and back to St. Moritz same day possible? After overnight in St. Moritz, we would travel to Milan? Is this doable? Recommendations? Thank you.

Reply to: Is there a train to late afternoon train to Milan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted