We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como to St Moritz

lake como in italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Lake Como to St Moritz

Hi,

My husband and I are in Lake Como next week. We are intending to visit St Moritz for a couple of days. We were wondering if anyone could tell us if there is a train from lake como that will take us to St Moritz or if we will have to go back to Milan centrale to catch the train. Also how long will the journey take and just one more thing: Is there likely to be snow next week?

Your answeres would be much appreciated

Regards

Cecilia

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

I hope there is snow next week there since I will be there for SKIING then! (Yes, there is enough snow around St. Moritz.)

Trains from Varenna run to Chiavenna where you can catch a bus to ST. Moritz. Or train to Tirano and change there for the Bernina Pass train route. The latter is a bit longer, but more scenic.

If you are in Menaggion or Bellagio you need to take the ferry to Varenna of course.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Yahoo eagle!! You go, man! I'm so happy for you!! That's great news!

s

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

The previous posters are correct. With the beautiful weather at the moment, I would suggest to take the Varenna-Tirano route with the Bernina Express as a part of it (e.g. leaving Varenna 09.18, arr. Tirano 10.45, leaving 10.50, arr. St. M. 13.10, see www.sbb.ch) If you have time and not too much luggage, go off at Bernina, skip a train or two to go up to Diavolezza for the beautiful view in the middle of the peaks.

Yes, we have snow, not very much down in the valley, but the pists are perfect at the moment. You however have to start early with skiing, as with the warm temperatures, its going to be heavy in the afternoon - but very good for your tan! Don't forget a good sunscreen at this time of year.

lake como in italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Thanks very much for your information. I think will take the quickest route which seems like Verenne-Chiavenna and then take the bus to St Moritz.. I take it this will be around 3-4 hours?

I shall start planning. Thanks again for all your help.

Cecilia

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Both itineraries vary from 3:15 to 4 hours, but with the train (Tirano) you have to change only once, with the bus twice (in Colico) and the Val Bregaglia (from Chiavenna to St. Moritz) is very nice in Summer, but it's quite early now. The Bernina route is more scenic at this time of year.

lake como in italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Thank you very much for your assistance. Also would you recommend snow clothes i.e. hats, gloves ect for outside at night and day?

Rgds

Lakes 7

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Temperatures at night are still below 0, during the day with the bright sun at the moment it goes up. But days with less sunshine are still cool. Depending on what you intend to do (skiing or walking or else) you would have to bring adequate clothes. For shoes: it might still be snowing sometime at this time of year, better bring good shoes with grip. Otherwise the streets at the moment are free of snow and ice. If you are skiing, calculate the cold winds you are exposed to also in spring time. Gloves are not necessary unless you want to ski.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Can you buy tickets at Varenna station? As I recall there is not an attendant, but there might be a machine to purchase the tickets to Tirano (under 8 E). If not ,you'll need to get your tickets online through trenitalia (italian rail) or other rail site in advance. We are taking the scenic Bernina Express. I don't know if the bus follows the same route through the Bernina Pass or how curvy the bus ride might be.

lake como in italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Thank you so much, all your comments plan me for having a better trip.

Regards

Lakes 7

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Como to St Moritz

Hi irridescent, there is no tunnel through the Bernina pass, you have to go OVER it, as the train does, but the road is good, but not as scenic as the train (inform yourself before driving, if it is snowing, it is sometimes closed).

The bus however goes from Chiavenna (final station of the train), a nice old northern Italian market place, up the Bregaglia valley, passing sleepy villages. It's nice in summer, but humind and not much sun (some months not even sun) during winter time. You enter the Engadin Valley from the Maloja pass on this route (there is no train connection there, as the final train station in the Engadin Valley is St. Moritz) and continue along the lakes to St. Moritz.

The Bernina itinerary is completely differnt, with a journey through the Valtellina first (fine wine), then up the Poschiavo valley and over the Bernina (side trip to the Diavolezza = www.diavolezza.ch very much recommended for the sights) and passing by Pontresina from a side-valley into the Engadin valley. This time of year, the higher up you go, the more sun you get.