We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davos and Kloisters

california
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Davos and Kloisters

Planning a fifth trip to beautiful Switzerland this summer. We have never explored the area of Davos and Kloisters. I've read the forums but could not find any trip reports and these are usually very helpful. We love to take easy to medium day hikes, such as Rigi, First, Murren, etc. Are these areas similar to those in Davos? We also like to stay within walking distance to the train station and would be interested in knowing of a 3 to 4 star hotel in the vicinity. Are the cable cars all withing walking distance within the town? Any other info you can provide will be appreciated.

Germany
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Davos and Kloisters

The Davos/Klosters area is somewhat different from the others mentioned, but it is also a beautiful mountain region. Davos is a town, most architecture is from the early 20th century and somewhat similar to Bauhaus architecture, very much urban style. Klosters is smaller, probably more what you expect from a Swiss mountain town (more wooden houses).

The transportation system is excellent; buses in both towns run frequently and there is no need to stay close to the train station - you're much better off in quieter location and with more beautiful views slightly higher up. Advantage is that for hotel or apartment guests in both towns the cable cars and public transportation in Davos/Klosters are free.

You have many hiking options in the area, from easy to long and difficult. The cable cars provide easy access to the higher hiking trails, elevation difference can be minimized.

california
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Davos and Kloisters

eagle2002

Thank you so much. Would you suggest staying there 7 nights, or would that be too long. We'll be in Switzerland for 3 weeks and always love to explore the various areas in depth.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Davos and Kloisters

The Davos/Klosters Holiday Card is free for summer guest and is issued by the hotelier of tourist office. It covers a wide area from Klosters through Davos and as far as Filisur there are several cable cars, post bus routes, local buses and the RhB railway company included. My favourite mountain in this area is the Jackobshorn reached from the cable car next to Davos Platz railway station. www.davos.ch

Germany
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Davos and Kloisters

No, 7 nights is not too long - if you plan to do one or two excursions. Chur would be a good idea to visit (old town, churches, museums). Definitely make an excursion to the Engadine: From Davos via Filisur on the Albula train route to St. Moritz. Spend a couple of hours in the area (many options), then head back via Sagliains - Vereina tunnel - Klosters. It's a scenic loop by train. You could also hike along the Albula train route and see the technical wonders, now UNESCO world heritage (spiral tunnels, viaducts) - a very nice downhill hike/walk from Preda to Bergün.

Yes, Jakobshorn is a very nice mountain. You can take the cable car up, hike slowly downhill to Sertig hamlet, from there either bus back or hike uphill (not too exhausting) to Rhinerhorn, from there gondola down to Davos-Glaris, train or bus back. Do not miss the Walser type village Davos-Monstein, lovely wooden houses, microbrewery with beer tasting. Very nice hikes from Weissfluhjoch (funicular) via Strela pass to Schatzalp (famous Art Nouveau hotel, botanical garden, funicular). Don't miss hiking from Madrisa gondola top station via Schlappein back to Klosters - views of the Silvretta mountain range with glaciers.

california
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Davos and Kloisters

Thank you so much for the info. Can I bother you again regarding the difference between staying in Davos Platz or staying in Davos Dorf. I went into Google Earth to get the layout, however, cannot get a feel as to which would be closer to everything. Any suggestions for a nice 3 or 4 star hotel would also be appreciated.

Germany
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Davos and Kloisters

There is not much of a difference between Dorf and Platz. The latter is probably more of a 'centre', so to speak - with funicular to Schatzalp, cable car to Jakobshorn, congress centre, nice garden/park, Kirchner museum .. while Dorf has the Parsenn funicular, the small lake. Both parts have lots of hotels and apartment houses, are well connected by train, bus and walking trails.

I stayed at Hotel Cresta Sun, a nice 4star hotel with lots of English guests. It is on the lower main road (Talstrasse), so can be a bit noisy (traffic). My recommendation is to look for a hotel that is located above the upper main road (Promenade). These are in quieter location, have better views. Friends of mine stayed at this charming small hotel: www.alpina-davos.ch They liked it very much, very friendly ambience, family run hotel. I think they paid about CHF 1400 for a week incl. breakfast and dinner (half-board) for a double room to the south with balcony.

7. Re: Davos and Kloisters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Davos