We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Trying to work out how much money to allow/take with us.

Could someone please advise rough ideas of prices for e.g. wine, beer, soft drink in hotel restaurant. Snacks, ice-cream, lunch items eg roll, sandwich, fruit, drink etc in Coop, Migros type shops.

Do restaurants provide tap water to drink with your meal?

We will be staying at the Hotel Silberhorn in Wengen and fling into/out of Geneva airport.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Here is a copy ofthe menu one of the more popular restaurants in Lauterbrunnen. This should give you an idea of prices.

hoteloberland.ch/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/…

Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Thank you - any idea on where to find drink prices?

Norwich, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

In my hotel in Wengen a 30cl beer cost CHF4.50 and a 50cl bottle of the cheapest Swiss wine (which was excellent!) was CHF18. Prices in the Coop were cheap, so you can easily buy snacks, drinks, bread, cheese etc. Sorry, can't remember exact prices...

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Drinks are quite expensive. Sodas and beer are roughly the same price, about 5 - 7+ CHF depending on where and size of drink. A VERY small glass of wine (wine is sold by the deciliter) is about 5 - 7 CHF. I call it a "wine thimble". So the prices add up very quickly.

A bottle of wine (75cl) in a restaurant will run anywhere from 25 CHF to 70 CHF and the sky is the limit, of course. You can usually buy small pitchers of open wine for less money, but it is not very good IMO.

At COOP you can buy cheap wine for under 10 CHF a bottle, better wines for more of course.

You can see Coop prices at http://www.coopathome.ch. Select “Supermarkt” on the upper left part of the screen, then click on the type of products that interest you. Hover over the individual entries to get weights and pricing.

Some restaurants provide tap water for free, some only if you also buy drinks, some charge for it regardless. The trend is more toward charging.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,178 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Assume that soft drinks - Coke, Rivella, bottled water - and a glass of wine (1dl is a glass...), small beer etc all cost about 4-7frs. Large beer, litre of bottled water will cost about 8-10frs. (A lot depends also on the "Level" of the restaurant you are ordering in!) Coffee and tea vary from a low (Manora restaurants) of 2.70fr to a high of 5frs or even more in a very upmarket place.

It is important to remember that the prices include tax and service. There is no need to add a tip unless the service has been outstanding. Especially when just ordering a coffee in a bar or tearoom. (This is true for meals as well - menu prices include the service charge - but most of us here will add a franc or two if the service has been good. For poor service - zero!)

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

I would like to add one more thing. In a restaurant, you have to clearly tell the waiter to bring tap water if you do not want bottled water. Bottled water can cost you at least 3 - 5 CHF. I made a mistake in Geneva when we ordered plain water for my son, alongwith beer for self and coke for my wife. The cost for all three was 4-5 CHF each.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,178 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

As noted on another thread - in many restaurants, seemingly particularly in the German speaking part of Switzerland, tap water is billed for too. However if one orders a nice meal, some wine etc it may be offered free of charge. Here in the Suisse Romande there are places that are starting to charge for a "carafe d'eau" but they are not many. yet.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Hmb is correct. Many restaurants will bill for water, or will resist giving you faucet water. It is very expensive for Americans and British and most folks, for that matter- almost any other visitor, to visit Switzerland, but worth the trip! Part of it has to do with the high Swiss Franc.

If you are on a budget, and I assume you are (like most of us), there are ways to cut down. Since we come for a month and Zermatt is not inexpensive, we are thifty. We stay at a lovely reasonable Ferienwohnung.

I can offer some tips for saving money

First, don't order water at the table! ( That will save you 5-10 dollars a meal!)We carry water with us. I, as an American, would never pay for fresh water in a country with drinkable water! The water in Switzerland is very good....so we refill the plastic bottles we buy, for example from a soda, and then bring it with us. We hydrate sufficiently before we go into the Restaurant, and either order wine, or nothing. I usually tell the waiter when they first ask us about ordering something to drink...not right now... perhaps later. Usually, if I am thirsty after the meal, then when we leave, and we drink again from the water bottle. I also find that when I go into a really nice Restaurant and order an expensive meal, and wine, they will give us the tap water free. So it is about "spending."

You can buy a 1.5L bottle of natural water (ohne Gas) for abt one Sf in a Coop. But only do this in an emergency...if you forgot your waterbottle. Better to buy it at the coop, then on a Peak Mt. Trip that is charging you twice to three times as much.

We buy Wiener Kringel butter cookies (coop brand) at the Coop for 1.8sf. (400g) They are very tasty. Try them. Most cookies cost a lot more for a lot less cookie. Buy Ice Cream at the markets also...especially with children. Buying Ice Cream at a cafe or restaurant after dinner will add up quickly. You can buy 2000ml (1050g) of Ice cream in the Coop for abt 8sf. Two kugels of ice cream with a little whip cream can cost you 10sf in a cafe.

We bring certain packaged dried foods with us that are much cheaper in USA as well as coffee, Tea bag, small amount of candy. Since I ship my bags to switzerland, I make sure they are completely filled and just underweight.

When we arrive in Zermatt we go shopping. All the heavy items we will need. Wine, Soda, Oliveoil, etc. We use wither a cart from the banhof or one from the coop and transport all our shopping items to our residence. Good way to begin exercising in Zermatt. Then we return the cart and get our 5 frs. back.

In the big M Preis which is near the Tennis Center in Zermatt, they have what we call a bargain basement where you can pick up stuff that is, for zermatt, fairly reasonable priced items.

We buy almost all of my soft drinks or other beverages at the Coop or other supermarket. Sodas 1.35sf for a .5 of a leter. This price is similar to USA prices. I bought a bottle of Dole Blanche from Valais at the Coop Market today for a little over 7sf. Had it last year, and it was surprisingly good. Nice loaf of fresh break for 3sf. A ball of Mozzarella cheese in Water for 3 sf (cheaper than USA). We often have Tomatos with Basil, olive oil, and Mozzarella on the local bread in the evening and sit out and drink wine with a view of the Matterhorn. Tomatos were on the vine, for about 5 tomatos (could smell them) for 3.2 Sf.

We rent an apartment for a month...so we have to to budget. Meat tends to be very expensive! I don't buy certain meats from the Coop anymore. They sell lamb from Australia. However the last two times I bought it, it was spoiled. So now, if I want a better cut of meat, I go to the butcher in town. I do buy wurstel (Franks) and Weisswurst in the Coop.

We bring Italian Salami and Sopressada, (USA approved) imported from Italy to Switzerlnd. It is much cheaper to bring with us and much better tasting and much less expensive to bring. Since these are smoked, there is no problem worrying about spoiling in route.

We eat the main meal out, when we are not on a long hike. If we are hiking then we picnic, since the prices at the Huts or alms along the way can be pricey too! This is when we do buy a drink and maybe split an apple strudel. We sit out at an alm or Hut and enjoy a priceless view for the cost of a glass of wine or a cup of coffee!

I would say we (2) average $175 per day, for our apartment, food, restaurants and lifts. (This does not include our Swiss Passes). It can be done since the main entertainment here is the mountains and they are free!

Example: Today, June 11th

Loaf of Bread 3sf

500grm butter 2.8

Milk (1L) 2-3sf.

(cereal from USA)

(coffee from USA)

Lunch Restaurant in Zermatt - 30 (2 persons)

Supper

1 roll cut into small thin slices for two .90sf

Bottle of Basil (will last for a month) 3

1 Kugel Mozarella cheese for 2 persons 3

Soda 1.35 X2 2.70

Tea and cookies .7sf

Continentals eat the main meal at lunch so they offer specials on the menu. I have found places, even in Zermatt that you can have a decent lunch, 3 courses for 18sf (Soup, salad and main course). If you choose the couple of choices they offer for lunch or the main meal can be quite reasonable. We then eat supper at the apartment and breakfast as well.

Never buy food on the train. Always bring ample water, Around the train station areas there are usually Coop Markets or another type of place to purchase groceries. Buy the foods that are inexpensive in Switzerland.

Eggs are another good dish for about 3-4 Sf for 10 eggs. If you like omlets that could be a nice meal with a salad in the evening. Tomorrow we will make a Zuchini Souffle for dinner for about 7Sfs in total. But that is why we stay in a Ferienwohung.

again look for products that are in season and aren't shipped from a long distance away.

Tomatos in the summer are quite reasonable.

Bananas, on the other hand, are 4 times as expensive in Switzerland as in USA. Apples, though mostly small, are reasonable.

If you are doing a lot of train travel look for the Coop Markets. For example, you can't see it when you come to Visp, to change for Zermatt. But if you have a 15 minute break between trains and not a lot of luggage, you can go outside of the small train station in the direction of Visp and as soon as you come out of the tunnel on the right hand side there is a coop market.

I know what I am writing is not for everyone, but I am attempting to demonstrate that one can still come to such beauty on a budget!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Just to add that I find the food at the Migros (the M by the tennis courts in summer, ice rink in winter) to be much fresher than at the Coop.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drink and snack prices Switzerland

Thanks Marb E for the detailed information

Get answers to your questions about Wengen