We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
"wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

I first want to use my flexipass to travel from Zurich airport to Wengen. Do I need to pay for seat reservations in first class? The on-line ticket for Swiss Travel System will not accept "Wengen" as a place of arrival.

I also want to use a Flexipass Saver to buy 2 tickets roundtrip between Wengen and Jungfraujoch. The on-line ticket for Swiss Travel System will not accept "Wengen" as a place of departure or arrival.

What am I doing wrong?

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Wengen is not directly connected with Zurich airport by the Swiss railway. You will have to change at "Lauterbrunnen" to the Wengernalpbahn (WOB), which will bring you to Wengen.

There is no need to reservate a seat for the 1st class from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen. There will be enough space in the 1st class waggons.

Wengen is not directly connected with the Jungfraujoch. Go via "Kleine Scheidegg".

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Depends on the time of day you travel first class......especially the Zürich-Bern route can be a problem with seats ,even in first class!!!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

>Depends on the time of day you travel first class......especially the Zürich-Bern route can be a problem with seats ,even in first class!!!

Zürich-Bern is often fuller in the 1st class than in the 2nd.

>Do I need to pay for seat reservations in first class?

If you want reservations, than yes, you need to pay for them.

But you can only reserve (if you want at all) as far as Interlaken. On the trains from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and Lauterbrunnen to Wengen you can't reserve.

If you reserve a seat you will find that you are probably the only one in the whole train with a reservation.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Hi taniappe,

In addition to the above good information, let me add that you can get the schedules & buy your tickets at the Swiss Rail site, www.rail.ch. You can buy your tickets online if you're within 60 days (I think it's 60 days) of travel -- print your tickets on your own computer. I've done this, and it works well.

Have fun!

s

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

And even if all of the seats are taken (which won't be the case) you can stand if you like - without a reservation.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

It has to be something exceptional for all seats to be taken. The Swiss Railways don't operate this way. How much are the chances of trains being full if there is a non-stop train with 12-14 double-deck carriages every 30 minutes from Zürich to Bern, PLUS two other trains with stops in between every hour? Calculate yourself.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Thanks, altamiro

That's what I meant. Unless someone tries to take a train during the rush hour in the morning it is hardly possible NOT to get a seat in a train with a frequency of 30 minutes connecting two major Swiss cities.

Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Thanks to everyone who offered help. It is so great that everyone shares their wisdom and experiences.

Mootzli, you were right that I would have to enter into the Swiss railway system Zurich Flughafen (airport) to Lauterbrunnen, rather than to Wengen. I am still unable to purchase on-line the Lauterbrunnen to/from Wengen segments, even though the timetable shows it (no purchase allowed). I suppose I'll just purchase that ticket in Lauterbrunnen.

For the Wengen to/from Jungfraujoch trip, the on-line Swiss system would show the trip on the timetable and there you could click on "fare/ticket", but it can only sell the section from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch. What was inconsistent was that if instead of using the timetable to purchase the ticket, I went instead to the Ticket Shop on-line, it would not accept "Kleine Scheidegg" as a station.

As clarification, from the Swiss Travel System on-line Ticket Shop, the Swiss passes or Half-Fare Cards can be puchased 60 days in advance, but standard train tickets can only be purchased only a month in advance.

Altamiro, you have been a great help to me. Back in March when I was first planning this trip, you gave me excellent advice that caused me to change most of my plans. In particular, I am now flying into Zurich instead of Milan. I am going to Wengen and then on to Bellagio. To get to Bellagio I am going from Wengen to Chiasso via Brunig-Hasliberg, and then take a 4 minute train from Chiasso to Como S. Giovanni. At Como I will take a hydrofoil to Bellagio. By going to Chiasso I avoid going into Milan, which would only add time since I woud then have to go from Milan to Como.

I am set now and very appreciative of everyone's kind assistance.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Enjoy your trip. No need to worry.

1. If you get on the train from Zurich airport, you will be amongst the first passengers, as the train will arrive at Zurich main station 15 minutes AFTER you have chosen your seat. Even if the waggon were packed between Zurich main station and Berne; it wouldn't be your problem.

2. At Lauterbrunnen you will change the train as well as the responsible company. Wengernalpbahn (train compan y) is private and not part of the federal railway, but you will easily be able to buy a ticket at Lauterbrunnen. If you have to wait half an hour, then ok, have a drink, relax and enjoy. It's your holiday!

Have a good time!

canada
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "wengen" not a station choice on SBB on-line ticket

Am I missing something here? If you validate & use your flexipass that day, you don't need to buy p to p ticket for that same day.

Nobody can sell you a first class seat between Lauterbrunnen and wengen simply because it doesn't exist.