We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wengen Honeymoon

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wengen Honeymoon

Greetings - My Fiance and I have about 14 days off from work and are looking to split the time in between Wengen and Santorini, Greece for our honeymoon. I traveled to both destinations before on an organized tour during college and have always had a desire to return. We're looking to travel end of June early July 2014 with departure from Boston, Massachusetts. We'd like to travel to Wengen first, but have no idea where to even begin with the booking/travel process.

- is Zurich the airport we'd want to fly in to?

- what is the best way to get from the airport to Wengen? It is a car free town, so if we rented a car, where would we leave it?

- Hotel suggestions? We're probably looking at a 5 night stay. We're not budget travelers, but we are not splurgers. Ideally with restaurant on site where we can take most of our meals.

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wengen Honeymoon

You can fly into either Zurich or Geneva. It's about the same travel time to Wengen from either. Usually there are lots more flights especially from the US into Zurich. Either airport has a train station attached and the Swiss rail system is definately the way to travel. It may be the best in the world. You can take the train all the way to Wengen without having to worry about parking.

Personally I love the Hotel Schoeneg in Wengen. Romantic setting and one of the best restaurants in the whole area.

http://www.hotel-schoenegg.ch/

Just a general travel suggestion, I'd get your plane reservations asap. Even as early as now. This is when you can find the bargains for next year travel.

Edited: 9:59 pm, October 02, 2013
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wengen Honeymoon

Great plan!

Zurich and Geneva airports are small and very convenient with both their railway station. Travel time to Wengen by train comparable for both airports (around 3 hours)

There are direct flights from Boston to Zurich, but to my knowledge none to Geneva. For staying mainly in Wengen area, renting a car is not a really good option. Consider a local or regional public transportation pass, depending on your travel plans maybe one of the special passes for visitors for all of the country (Swiss Travel System).

Depending on arrival time at airport [direct flights from Boston to Zurich for instance late morning] you might have time for a slighty longer more scenic itinerary to Wengen (several options). Have a look at services offered by Swiss Federal Railways for transporting also you luggage such as fly-rail-baggage sbb.ch/en/…baggage.html

And whatever you plan for you vacation in the Alps: leave room to adjust for days with poor weather conditions.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wengen Honeymoon

To be honest I really wouldn't bother about renting a car. The transport system of railways, cable cars etc is so good that you really don't need a car, plus of course you can enjoy the scenery rather than having to concentrate on the road!

As regards hotels in Wengen, I recently stayed at the Silberhorn which is mid-range cost-wise and is situated directly opposite the railway station and I have no complaints about it at all.

North of Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
378 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wengen Honeymoon

Hi Jana,

First of all congratulations! We recently returned from Wengen and are planning to return. You can fly direct from Boston to Zurich; flights typically arrive about mid-day. It's easy to train to Wengen and would take about 3 hours, getting you there in the early afternoon. I'd recommend renting a chalet/apartment. You'll have more space and privacy, and can either eat in or splurge on restaurant meals.

You truly won't need a car; it's just be a hassle and extra expense, IMO.

Happy planning!

Wengen, Switzerland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wengen Honeymoon

Hello Jana,

Thanks a lot for your comment.

We are happy that you mentioned Wengen.

Zurich is the closest bigger airport from Wengen. But it's also possible from Geneva or Basel.

It's convenient if you travel from the airport to Wengen by train (from Basel you have direct connection to Interlaken and then Wengen; from Zurich airport you change in Bern). Please check about trains at www.sbb.ch

Please check our hotels and more information at: www.wengen.ch (it's the official homepage of Wengen Tourism organization).

We are also on Facebook with many information: www.facebook.com/WengenLauberhorn

Hope to see you next year in Wengen and good luck for your honeymoon planning.

Rolf

Boston MA
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wengen Honeymoon

Congratulations Jana. I think Wengen is a fabulous destination for your honeymoon. We too just came back from Wengen and it was fabulous. We stayed at the hotel Schoenegg and our stay was great. Philip the hotel manager is very kind and his staff is great, especially Elizabeth. We stayed half board and dinner every night was fantastic. The chef makes the most delicious meals with interesting combinations. Several nights, the chef came out to greet his guest and to see if you are enjoying your meal.

One thing that jumps out at me for the Schoenegg was that the bath products, bedding, and the quality of the bedding was up to par with that of the Fairmont Palace in Montreux.

7. Re: Wengen Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 06, 2014