We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is up with Wengen's weather?

Ohio
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What is up with Wengen's weather?

Arriving in Wengen Sept. 4. Can only find forecast up til Aug. 30 but it looks like it will be around 50 degrees. Thought this time of year would be 71 or so. I had not planned to need such warm clothes at least for daytime. I am kind of disappointed. Maybe these forecasts are wrong?

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

Unfortunately it's just basically normal weather for Wengen. Although it can often be hot, it can just as easily be cool too, even in the summer. To give you an idea, we were there for 2 weeks at the beginning of August. For about 10 days we had glorious virtually cloud-free weather with temperatures in the mid to high 80s but for the other 4 days it was rainy and cool with fresh snow on the mountains. I think it's just a case of being prepared for any eventuality and pack for all weathers.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

And never do believe in weahter forecasts for such a long time ahead. Mountain weather is difficult to predict, forecasts are relatively exact for only two days at the most. So be prepared for everything and consider putting on layers of clothes (onion principle) so you should be prepared for everything. Don't be disappointed, lower temperatures usually mean clear bright skies and no dust in the air.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

The mountains are full of micro climates and even a local weather forecast for the next day can be wrong. But basically you have to expect anything at anytime in the mountains. Can be warm and sunny (even 25° or more in the daytime) and can be foggy and cold (5-10°) or even snowing. Yes! Even snowing in Wengen in summer... it can and it does happen.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

I agree with Engadiner, Once the rain we experienced had moved through, the next day we were greeted cool weather but *beautifully* clear skies and the mountains were the most spectacular I have ever seen them. Even when the weather is cloudy & misty, some of the cloud formations hugging the sides of the mountains and into the Lauterbrunnen valley can be quite wonderous. It really is a magical place whatever the weather.

seattle
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

We are traveling to Wengen about the same time-frame (actually arriving one week later) and had checked the weather forecast on Accuweather.com for that period, with the understanding that it is only a rough guide. Nevertheless, it does give some indication of what to expect. Take-home message was to be prepared for changeable weather.

Ohio
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am planning to bring layers. I was just hoping for some mild weather. I know it will be wonderful no matter what the weather is like.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

Actually, while you're waiting to go you might like this:

http://panocam.skiline.cc/maennlichen

This is located at Mannlichen is overlooks Wengen

Ohio
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

SwissHeaven, thanks for the link. Cool live cam.

Bedminster, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

We were in Wengen in July. It ended up being about 20 degrees warmer than the forecast. Layers, and don't forget a raincoat. Enjoy! It is an amazing place. I would love to return for a longer visit someday soon.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is up with Wengen's weather?

SwissHeaven - high much higher up than Wengen is this camera? I liked going back in the archives to see the changes in the seasons.