We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel discount card confusion

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel discount card confusion

Hi! I've been pouring over the forums and trying to do the math for my travel to Switzerland but it is overwhelming. I'm hoping if I post my plans here...someone with more knowledge can guide me thru this maze of discount cards!

My husband, myself and 4kids (under16) will be traveling from Paris via TGV to stay 7 nights in Wengen. Our plans while there are:

* Wengen - Mannlichaen and walk to KS

* wengen - Lauterbrunnen - Grutchalp walk to Murren - Schilthorn - Murren - Grimmelwald - Stecheberg walk to Tremmelbach Falls

* Jugfraujoch

* Interlaken - boat on Brienz

* Grindelwald -First

* Ballenberg - open air museum

From what I can tell there are only some differences that would affect me:

1. Cost of the Swiss pass 8.Days vs 1/2 fare. (260 chf vs 110 chf)

2. Both only cover the cost of travel 100% to Wengen -- above that its 50% (except for First and Schilthorn 25% for Swiss pass)

3. Ballenberg is covered under the Swiss pass

4. Boat on Brienz is covered under Swiss pass

5. Travel from Basil (Eurostar) to Wengen is 100% covered under Swiss pass - only 50% w 1/2fare

6. Travel home from Wengen to Zurich airport is also covered 100% vs 50%

After the math...assuming I've done it correctly...the Swiss pass will be more expensive but not by a lot...so it may be better to go w it in case my math was wrong, we unexpectedly add a trip and overall seems more convenient?

The only other thing playing on my mind is I've come across this Jungfrau Region VIP pass which is used in conjuction w the 1/2fare card and appears to cover all travel from wengen to Jugfraujoch for 3 days?

So confused...maybe overall it doesn't make a huge difference in cost??

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Leah

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel discount card confusion

>1. Cost of the Swiss pass 8.Days vs 1/2 fare. (260 chf vs 110 chf)

8 day Swiss Saver Pass 334 CHF - HFC 120 CHF.

swisstravelsystem.com/en/…details

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
522 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel discount card confusion

Have you considered the Jungfrau Railways Regional Pass in your plans?

www.swissrailways.com/regiopass.php…

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel discount card confusion

Apologies @ swissaholic...have many numbers written downand put the incorrect figure down.

Thank you swissheaven...will read up on. It just seems the discount cards are not super straightforward. Very hard to determine the best option (s).

I appreciate your replies. :)

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel discount card confusion

Gosh, I'd just end the anxiety (the Swiss rail passes cause alot of that) and buy Half Fare Cards for you and your husband (120 CHF each), request the free family pass, and all your kids will go with you for free. Easy breezy. Almost always the HFC is the best economically too in addition to being the easiest.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel discount card confusion

Perfect! Thanks.

6. Re: Travel discount card confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Wengen