Hi! I've been pouring over the forums and trying to do the math for my travel to Switzerland but it is overwhelming. I'm hoping if I post my plans here...someone with more knowledge can guide me thru this maze of discount cards!
My husband, myself and 4kids (under16) will be traveling from Paris via TGV to stay 7 nights in Wengen. Our plans while there are:
* Wengen - Mannlichaen and walk to KS
* Interlaken - boat on Brienz
* Grindelwald -First
* Ballenberg - open air museum
From what I can tell there are only some differences that would affect me:
1. Cost of the Swiss pass 8.Days vs 1/2 fare. (260 chf vs 110 chf)
2. Both only cover the cost of travel 100% to Wengen -- above that its 50% (except for First and Schilthorn 25% for Swiss pass)
3. Ballenberg is covered under the Swiss pass
4. Boat on Brienz is covered under Swiss pass
5. Travel from Basil (Eurostar) to Wengen is 100% covered under Swiss pass - only 50% w 1/2fare
6. Travel home from Wengen to Zurich airport is also covered 100% vs 50%
After the math...assuming I've done it correctly...the Swiss pass will be more expensive but not by a lot...so it may be better to go w it in case my math was wrong, we unexpectedly add a trip and overall seems more convenient?
The only other thing playing on my mind is I've come across this Jungfrau Region VIP pass which is used in conjuction w the 1/2fare card and appears to cover all travel from wengen to Jugfraujoch for 3 days?
So confused...maybe overall it doesn't make a huge difference in cost??
Thanks so much for any help you can provide!