We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

sydney
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

We need to decide between staying 3 nights in Lucerne and for our 3 day stay doing excursions to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus and Zurich Or 2 nights in Lucerne and 1 night in Wengen with a trip up the Jungfrau. Advice appreciated please. Is this doable in 3 days and what is preferable or recommended ?

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus
4,802 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

Hi kasuperwoman,

Remember that you lose about half a day of "outside" time with every move because of the time it takes to pack up and check out, then check in and unpack again -- so imo you lose more time by switching bases between Luzern and Wengen.

I would say to pick one and make that your base for your whole time.

Also remember that any trip up to the mountain peaks will be wasted unless the skies are clear -- you would be spending a lot of time and money to stand inside a cloud. Weather changes very quickly and unpredictably in the mountains, and the longer you stay in/near the mountains, the better chance you have of getting clear skies. The chances that you'll have clear skies on your one morning in Wengen could be pretty low.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Wengen
Wengen
sydney
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

thanks for your reply. Yes I agree with you. sounds like it makes more sense to stay in Lucerne( do Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlus), forget about the Jungfrau excursion :( and just enjoy a day trip to Zurich. Any suggestions for a day in Zurich? I was last there in 1985

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus
4,802 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

Hi kasuperwoman

Depending what time your flight arrives or leaves you could visit Zurich before or after departure/arrival. The train takes about 10 minutes from the airport to Zurich and about 50 minutes from Zurich main station (Zurich HB) to Lucerne. This would give you a chance to see the transport museum - www.verkehrshaus.ch - and the Glacier Garden - www.gletschergarten.ch - OR do an other mountain excursion (my favorites are www.stanserhorn.ch and www.rigi.ch ) the remaining day. For more details look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

pore

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Lucerne
Lucerne
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

I was in Lucerne yesterday and zi am now in Wengen. Lucerne is a town that has an old town around chapel bridge. You can walk around the main sights in 2 hours, honestly. I also did My. pilatus (completely worth it) and that was about half- day. I think 3 days is way too many for Lucerne. Wengen is extremely beautiful. It sits right in the Alps and you can see the snow capped mountains, waterfalls, etc.very quiet village. I would decide based on the weather forecast. If the Alps looks rainy, I would do Lucerne. But if the weather looks sunny, I would do 1 days stopeover in Lucerne and still go to Wengen. Or stay in the Alps area.

Thebother thing that was tough above Lucerne was how expensive it is. W were paying $30CHF for a burger with fries and a beer. We ended up buying sandwiches from a Coop store and eating that.

Hoe this helps. Lucerne is a 1 day/ 1.5 day kind of place.

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Wengen
Wengen
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

Hi emily1201

I am sorry that you did not see more from the Lucerne area. Look at the Top Questions about Lucerne for more information about things to see and to do.

pore

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
6. Re: 3 days Lucerne or Lucerne and Wengen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 21, 2014