We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stroller/Pram on Trains

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Stroller/Pram on Trains

My husband and I have been to Wengen before, but never with our infant son. We will be traveling from Zurich to Wengen via train with a stroller and car seat attachment. We won't need the car seat in Switzerland at all, but need it for the plane. I'm wondering if on the bigger trains from Zurich (Zurich to Bern and Bern to Interlaken) will we have to keep the stroller folded or is there room for the stroller to be open and our son sitting in it on the trains. I really don't remember from our previous trips. I'm just contemplating whether I should just do Fly Rail Baggage for the stroller and pick it up in Wengen instead of traveling with it or not. Thanks for the help!

canada
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stroller/Pram on Trains

Most trains have a lower level which take on prams and wheelchairs. So are buses and trams. Exceptions are those less traveled short feeder routes in more remote area where older (pre-retirement) rolling stock are used. In such cases the station master may roll out a ramp to make things easier. Prams in Europe on the whole have larger wheels, better for cobble stoned pavements and to get over the gap on and off those low floor buses.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stroller/Pram on Trains

Hi mercury0777,

Of course the pram can't stay in the train aisle where folks are walking, so it will have to stand either in the luggage area or in the wheelchair area. I don't think there are any/many passenger seats in those areas, so it's likely you won't be able to sit next to your son.

If the train has a bicycle car, then you can always ride in that car with the pram open and your son in it, but the passenger seats are pull-down and not well padded; I wouldn't want to sit there for a few hours.

I think it would be safer and easier to ship the pram.

s

Yverdon-les-Bains...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stroller/Pram on Trains

Actually, you should check your schedule on http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

For each trip, there is the detail of which train circulates, and whether or not it has a designated family coach or family zone (designated by FA or FZ for each train). Most Intercity (IC) or ICN do. And if you look under the station & services tab on their website, you will see the details of what these areas look like. If there is only a family zone, it means that a few seats are removed from one end of the coach to leave room for strollers. For your particular trip, you should be fine all the way to Interlaken, but you might have to fold the stroller in the regional trains between Interlaken and Wengen.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 3:58 am, April 18, 2013
4. Re: Stroller/Pram on Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 20, 2014