We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking in summer

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
3 posts
Save Topic
hiking in summer

I am planning a trip to Europe this summer and would like to do some hiking in the Alps. I would like to spend maybe 2 nights in an alpine area where I can hike on mountain paths with cows and wild flowers and get away from houses and stores. I know very little about what is available and have just begun my research. I would also like to see the high peaks (without a strenuous climb). I am thinking that Wengen may be an area of interest, but I can go anywhere at this point. My wife and I enjoy moderate mountain hikes and getting away from commercial areas and lots of people. I also don't know if May is too early and if September is too late because of snow. At this point I am open to any time and location plans.

If anyone can give me any guidance and ideas for my trip, it would be greatly appreciated.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking in summer

The Oberland is a great place for hiking at all levels. May would be too early for anything at altitude but September is perfect. September gets you the mountains without snow and the peak summer crowds.

Wengen, Murren or even Lauterbrunnen can give you a good base from which to see the area without much travel and have tons of hiking opportunities.

I've suggested this to others often. The Mountain hotel/restaurant at Obersteinberg is a great get away. It's about 2 1/2 hrs hiking up from the end of the Lauterbrunnen valley. Located on a plateau looking up at the snow covered peaks and the Schmadribach Falls you see scenery not available anywhere else in the area. The rustic hotel is a romantic candlelight experience (no electricity) and the restaurant serves hearty mountain fare. A great place to get away from it all.

Brevard, NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking in summer

I have spent two vacations hiking in the Jungfrau region. Wengen is the perfect spot since it is a car-free village. Grindelwald is noisy and crowded. A must hike is to take the cable car from Wengen to Maenlichen. Time permitting take a round trip ride on Europe's longest cable car to Grund and back. Then take the well-traveled walk to Klein Scheideg. From there hike in the shadow of the Moench and Jungfrau back to Wengen making sure to take the side detour just above the Lauterbrunnen valley.

Next best is to take the cable car from Murren to Almendhubel and hike the "balcony trail" back to Grutchalp.

Finally take the cable car from Grindelwald to First. Hike from First past Bachsee to the Falhorn and on to Bussalp. Take the bus back to Grindlewald.

September is the best month because it has the lowest precipitation, clear skies, fewer crowds and the trails are free of snow.

Hope this helps.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking in summer

Hi Duckhill and welcome to the Forums!

I agree completely with mountaintopper and Jayzee2 that a Bernese Oberland visit will give you what you are looking for. September is perfect. May is too early, July and August a bit busier than what you are looking for. We love Wengen most of all.

Too bad you can't allocate more than a couple of days. This part of Switzerland is one of the most scenic spots in the world.

I have a 35+ page document on the region including transport tips, hikes of all levels, lodging/restaurant recommendations, etc. Happy to send it to you but will need your email address to do so. If you would like a copy send me a Private Message with your address.

USA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking in summer

I really appreciate the responses and it sounds like Wengen is the place I should visit (probably longer than 2 nights). I would like to receive a copy of the document on the region, but I don't know how to send a private message, unless this is a private message. If so, please let me know and I will forward my email address, as well as much gratitude for taking the time to help me.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking in summer

<I don't know how to send a private message>

Click on the person's username (below the little photo), then on "Send message" in the window that is displayed.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
885 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking in summer

Duckhill make sure you work it out, I was sent kimsanjose's document and it's a treasure trove of information.....and will surely lead to you dedicating a week to this region.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking in summer

Thanks for the kind words, ozzie2010, glad you found the info useful.

Duckhill, I will send you a private message with my email address and you can either just reply to that with your address or send me a message directly at my email.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking in summer

I too believe that Wengen would make a wonderful choice for you. We are going back there for 2 weeks ourselves this summer. Even though it'll be our third time we already have a list as long as our arm of things we'd like to do (or re-do) so I guarantee that even if you go for a week you'll come away wishing you'd spent longer there. Whatever you decide to do I hope you really enjoy it.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking in summer

Can you please send me that trip report you have to lisaycharles@gmail.com

Thank you.

~Lucky

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking in summer

Would love to receive that information as well - my husband and I are planning our first trip to Switzerland in early September and will be using Wengen as our "hub" location. Will be there for 4 or 5 days and are planning to stay at the "Hotel Edelweiss". Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!