We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access to Wengen

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
Level Contributor
294 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Access to Wengen

I'm looking to spend a week in Wengen during the summer and will be travelling by car. I understand that Wengen is a car free village - we don't intend to use the car during the week - but how far away will I have to park up? I think I've read somewhere that we would need to take a two mile train journey up to the village - is that right?

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
774 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Access to Wengen

Not sure of the length of the cog railway trip, but yes, you will need to park in Lauterbrunnen and take the train up. Here's info on arrival by car:

mylauterbrunnen.com/en/…Arrival_by_car

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Access to Wengen

The train rides only takes about 13 minutes.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Access to Wengen

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. On arrival at Wengen station is it just a case of carting the luggage by foot to where we're staying? This could make it a bit of a non starter for us!!! (although we've not actually booked our accommodation as yet).

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
774 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Access to Wengen

Most hotels or B&Bs will meet you at the station and bring your luggage to the hotel. Ask them when you book your room. I'm not sure how it is now, but when we went skiing there a number of years ago, they would even pick up packages at the shops when we did some mid-day shopping while skiing.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Access to Wengen

Any of the hotels In Wengen will meet you at the station with their electric carts, you just need to let them know in advance so they can make arrangements with you.

If you are renting an apartment you can take a taxi from the station (there are two taxi vans allowed in the "car free" village). Simply walk to the info board that has contact information on the hotels and taxis, pick up the phone and dial the number for the taxi (displayed on the board), and ask them to pick you up. The two taxis are driven by a husband and wife team, she speaks English, he not so much. But either of them will understand that you are calling from the train station and will come fetch you rather quickly (go stand in front of the Kiosk market at the station, that's where they will come looking for you).

Sheffield
Level Contributor
294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Access to Wengen

Thanks again for the fab information, really helpful. That's put my mind at rest now then, Wengen is back on the agenda:-)

7. Re: Access to Wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014