We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

We are travelling at the end of November to the BO region. I have been searching around for hotels in Wengen and Lauterbrunnen but it seems most hotels are closed during this time. Would it be a dead town in November in these 2 places? Is renting an apartment online be safe?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Hi Rachelong

It would maybe not be dead but very calm as November is between the seasons and many places are closed.

You could look at Grindelwald which is somewhat larger. I personally anyway prefer Grindelwald over Lauterbrunnen as there is more sun.

pore

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Thanks Pore!

But correct me if I am wrong, I have read that Grindelwald is not a convenient base for exploring the area.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Hi Rachelong

Grindelwald is the place I prefer in the area because it is sunnier and there are great excursions you can do from.

Some people think there is too much bus traffic during the day. This will not be the case in November.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,163 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Wengen will be totally dead. We were there in mid Oct last year and it was already shutting down...

Grindelwald is larger and has a bigger permanent population. So many things remain open. It is not a bad base at all - and certainly better than Wengen because you can get to Interlaken Ost with no change of train.

However I would suggest Wilderwil as a base. It is very pretty, close to Interlaken so makes a great base and not being in the mountains everything will be open.

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Thanks again Pore and Hambagahle.

I just tried to book my accomodation in Grindelwald and was told by the owner that almost everything will be closed in Grindelwald as well at this time of the year. Sigh! Looks like I've chosen the wrong time to visit Switzerland.

I'm really at a loss now as to where to base. How far is it to get from Wilderswil to Jungfrau, Murren, Wengen? I'm just worried that most of my time will be spent on the roads.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,163 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Why the roads? We take trains here and you have to take a train to get to the Jungfraujoch anyway.

Trains run regularly between Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen where you change for the train to the Jungfraujoch. This same train (to Lauterbrunnen) also stops in Wilderswil. it is only 4 mins on the train from Interlaken Ost to Wilderswil and about another 15 or so to Lauterbrunnen from Wilderswil. It is a nice place and will make a good base!

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Hello Rachelong. Is late november the only option you have for visiting Switzerland? The problem with the period you have chosen is it's between the summer & winter season, and Hambagahle is right, Wengen will be virtually deserted at that time of the year.

If you have the option to wait until next year then your options will be huge.

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Thanks SwissHeaven, unfortunately my tickets are already booked and i guess I'll have to make the best of my November trip despite the closure of the villages. I believe the great views of the BO areas will more than make up for the lack of crowd. I'll also be going around Berne, Lake Thun areas, Lucern and Zurich, so it's probably only 2~3 days away from the crowd in my 8-day tour of Switzerland. Shouldn't be that bad, I think.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,435 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

I went to Grindelwald in November and it's not true that everything will be closed. We even watched an ice hockey game at the local sports center one night (free admission).

Wengen will be totally dead. Restaurants will still open for lunches though. It's still worth the time to go there just to admire the beauty of the village.

If you are not after skiing, then the scenic places are still extremely attractive. The drawback to end-of-November is the weather as you tend to get more grey and rainy days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen as base in November

Does anyone know what Lauterbrunnen will be like in November?