We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald vs Wengen in September

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grindelwald vs Wengen in September

I've read lots of posts on the subject on this forum, yet can't make up my mind.

I'll be speding a few days hiking. I was thinking Grindelwald because of many hiking options just at the doorstep, on the other hand people say it's very touristic and suggest Wengen instead. Wengen is quiter, but are there as many trails around? I don't want to take a train each time to get to the a hinkiing trail.

Thank you.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald vs Wengen in September

1. How long will you be there?

2.What time of year are you going?

3. What kind of hiking do you like to do and what is your fitness level? Easy (3 - 5 miles flat), moderate ( 3 - 6 miles with 2,000 - 3,000 feet of vertical ascent/descent), challenging (4,000 - 7,000 feet of vertical ascent/descent). It's not the miles, it's the vertical ascent/descent that make the difference.

The train trips you need to take from either base to the most spectacular hikes of the region are nothing or short (in the case of easy hikes) or very reasonable (for more aggressive hikes). Lots of options from either base.

With a Wengen base you will be in a quintessential Swiss village up in the mountains. From a Grindelwald base you will be in a larger town not in the mountains. If you are going during high season (now through Oct 1) Grindelwald will be choked with busses and tour groups.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald vs Wengen in September

I agree. Wengen is a better choice. Because of softness in the ecconomy you may also find some accomodation bargains there as well. We were up there this week and many hotels that are normally full are offering bargain rates to attract customers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald vs Wengen in September

I plan to stay about 4 days, in the second half of September.

I'm fit, but I don't want agressive hikes. I'd rather choose moderate, may try one challenging :)

Looks like I should be looking at WEngen.

Thank you very much.

4. Re: Grindelwald vs Wengen in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 19, 2013