We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family day hikes from Wengen

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Family day hikes from Wengen

Hi. My family (husband, 13 yr old daughter, 9 yr old son--all fit) will be in Wengen in late August. My husband chose Wengen, as he skied there this winter and thought it would be nice to visit in the summer. We are looking for some suggestions for day hikes (3-5 hrs) nearby.

We have never hiked in the Alps before, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the options and the logistics (what clothes to bring, where to get food to pack for the hike, how best to get to the starting points, etc.)

We love hikes with vistas, waterfalls, lakes...It'd be nice to see some local towns, too.

Any family-friendly itineraries for us?

Thanks in advance!

Skiset Wengen
Gift & Specialty Shops, Gear Rentals
Wengen Day Trips
Waterfalls, Sightseeing Tours, Specialty Museums, Bus Tours, Day Trips
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

Hi Suzyweb and welcome to the Switzerland forum.

I expect by now you have seen that you posted the same question up three times on this forum? There may be a technical problem on your end.

Wengen is a perfect base for an active family. There is enough to do there to keep your family happy and occupied for weeks. I hope you are staying more than a couple of days. The village itself is very kid-friendly with mini-golf courses, a public swimming pool, great gondola ride, and many nice walks and hikes to do from there.

It is a great base to get to many of the "must do" easy walks in the region, such as Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, Grütschalp to Mürren, Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg with side trip to Trümmelbach Falls. Many more aggressive hikes from this base as well and lovely trips such as a cruise on Lake Brienz and a visit to Ballenberg Open Air Museum. Also, for the adventurous, some more extreme sports such as parasailing, hang-gliding, zip-lines, canyoning, trotti-bikes, and so on.

I have a 35+ page document on transport tips, food shopping, things to do/see, etc that you may find very helpful. It is long enough that it needs to come as an attachment to an email. I'll send you a PM with my email address; if you are interested in getting a copy reply to that with your address.

Mentioned in this post
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Stechelberg
Stechelberg
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

Hello Suzyweb,

Your profile seems to be set up to not receive any private messages (or perhaps a technical problem on my end!) Anyway, if you want a copy of the information I have compiled send me a PM with your email address.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

This download is a good place to start. You can get a copy at the local tourist office.

mhs.gadmin.ch/item_files/86304.pdf

Starkville...
Level Contributor
291 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

Our family of 4 just spent 3 nights at Schonegg in Wengen last month. We all agreed that Wengen is the best base for exploring Bernese Oberland. Our favorite hike starts from Wengen: take the lift from Wengen to Mannlichen, from there, you can either go east or go west. Both trails are spectacular. The hikes are not too long or demanding and yet the scenery is dramatic and diverse. And from Mannlichen, you can take the cable car to Grindlewald. It looked so much fun. If you do not have much time in Bernese Oberland, make sure to explore from Mannlichen. Our family really love it there. We wish we had spent more time in Mannlichen instead of wasting time visiting Trumbach Fall. People always say on the rainy days, it is a good time to visit Trumbach Fall. We will tell you on good or rainy days, skip the Trumbach Fall. It is not worth our time or money.

Mentioned in this post
Bernese Oberland
Bernese Oberland
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

I totally agree with "Italyfan61" suggestion, skip the Trumbach falls. We went on aday when it was drizzling and truly not worth the time and effort.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

Is this everyone's consensus? Skip Trumbach Falls??

san francisco
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

we ( 2 adults and a 13 yr old) are also planning on being in Wengen the end of august. we have a total of 10 nights in switzerland. we arrive in zurich and leave from geneva. what do you think of this itinerary:

day one - zurich and go to lucerne in evening

day two - lucerne

day three - lucerne

day four - lucerne

day five - go to wengen

san francisco
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

sorry, i hit send accidentally... please let me try again...

day 1 - arrive zurich in morning, go to lucerne in evening

day 2 - lucerne

day 3 - lucerne

day 4 - go to wengen - can we do jungfrau this day assuming good weather?

day 5 - wengen

day 6 - go to montreux

day 7 - montreux - go see cheese and choc factory - will this take all day?

day 8 - montreux

day 9 - go to geneva

day 10- geneva

day 11-leave geneva 7:30am and go home

Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

I think your plan is well spaced out and can be done at an easy and comfortable pace.

For day 4, it can be done at the same day provided you make it by checking in early to your hotel in Wengen. I would suggest you can maybe contemmplate to visit Lauterbrunnen or even Interlaken for the late afternoon.

Day 7 - yes, this done take an entire day. Suggestion here; if you want to see live cheese makin, then u need to be there around 1.30pm. So bets would be if do the cheese tour first and also visit the Gruyere town and then go to Broc to visit Cailler chocolate factory

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
218 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family day hikes from Wengen

Just returned from a trip to Switzerland (2 adults and 3 teenagers), and Wengen and Montreux were both on our itineraries.

A few suggestions: We considered the Chocolate/Cheese train from Montreux to Gruyeres but ended up doing the tours on our own to make better use of our time. We took a train to Gruyeres, went through the Cheese tour on our own (right across the street from the train station and therefore easy to find), then we explored the medieval section of Gruyeres for roughly an hour before taking a 10 minute bus ride up to Moleson-sur-Gruyeres. With a teen in tow, you may enjoy this as much as we did, since Moleson features a "summer luge" (basically a luge ride on a rail-- fun for kids and adults), grass go karts that you ride down the mountain through a course (also fun), and trottibikes (scooters that you ride down the same course as the go karts that we were too chicken to try). While at Moleson, we had an excellent lunch slightly uphill from the fun park area. We returned to Gruyeres by bus and took another train to Broc, where we went to the Nestle Cailler factory tour. The chocolate tour was much more enjoyable than the Cheese factory one, but both were worthwhile. If you decide to try it on your own instead of going with the packaged tour, let me know and I'll send you specific info about train and bus schedules (essential to a successful day, but not difficult to manage at all).

I also struggled with packing for this trip since the climates were so different in every area we visited. One thing that helped us immensely: Central Sports in Wengen rents hiking boots for $15 a day. These were excellent quality hiking boots and were hugely helpful from a packing perspective. Husband is a size 14, so bringing his hiking shoes along would've taken up half a suitcase! The staff at Central Sports was very helpful in mapping out specific hikes geared to our ability level and interests.

A word about Jungfraujoch: We hated it. Not only was it swarming with noisy, pushy tour groups, but it was also VASTLY overrated and not worth the money. In spite of excellent weather reports and clear skies, the "Snow Fun" section was not open due to wind (big disappointment to the kids) and the rest of it was frankly just not that impressive. You could get equally good views at a fraction of the cost from other peaks in the area (accessible by tram). In our two-week vacation, Jungfraujoch was by far our least favorite day. The only fun we had, in truth, was when we came up with alternate names (Jungfrau-joke, Jungfrau-yuck, etc.) on the train ride home. Use the time for a nice hike instead!

Good luck with your trip! We thoroughly enjoyed both cities and I'm sure you will, too. Do bring your wallet, though, because meals in both Wengen and Montreux are unbelievably expensive (much moreso than any other place we've been in Europe).